12" gar not eating anything

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
So, I just got a gar last week Friday and today its been 1 week and 2 days and he hasn't eaten a thing. I'm going to be very detailed so you folks can be sure how to help.

It's 12-13". Previous owner said it was pellet trained. It's a homie of mine so I believe him. Before I got the gar, my stock was one 5 1/2" ST dat. one 4" TSC, one 4" PBASS. They eat just fine. I put the gar in and shortly after I recently tested my water and everything was high, so I did water changes and brought it down to 0. I'm getting the feeling its a mixture between the stress from the move, and stress from crappy water conditions. on top of that he was previously in a 360g and I put him in my 75g fear not! Previous owner had TONs of lace rock so it didn't have a full 360g. However on the bright side, I'm in the process of setting up my 300g and will move the gar there.

So far if tried market shrimp and tilapia, carnisticks, live feeders. Anything else I can try? Or any tips to entice them into eating?

tigercat

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
winnsboro
Give him some time to settle in. However keep a check on the water conditions, it does not take long of conditions to go south.

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
i notice mine take a huge interest in night crawlers, You could try that.

And maybe he just needs some time to settle in ^^^

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Hope he doesn't settle in.. no way would I trust a 12" gar with anything under 8-10" even an even tempered florida... he will most likely eat your other fish if he can once he settles in. He's also with some fairly aggressive species, so they may also be bullying him atm. Other then that.. just giving him good water and time to settle in he should eat soon enough. At that size he should also be able to go weeks w/out eating w/ minimal issues.

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
They're bot bullying him. Id they were his fins would.be torn something.

K guess ill keep trying and ill even try night crawlers

jardiniarokeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Brunei Darussalam
just starve it for one week or two it will eventually eat

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Bad tank mates. Fix that, it will likly eat.

Mike King

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Massachusetts
just starve him..... trust me he will eat and eat well one night after the lights go out!;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store