When do you have your lights on?

When are your lights on?

• Early morning till evening (with the Sun)

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Afternoon into night (after work hours)

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Early morning till late at night (algae lovers)

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other (mixed schedule, dimmers, etc...)

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters

chris_zx2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Montreal
Hey guys I'm only about a year into the plant scene so still very new to this and everytime I have a problem I'm right on here to find the solution. :D

Well the latest problem is algae, something everyone has or will face and the cause of mine is most likely too much lighting (over 12hrs a day). This has brought me to a crossroad; I work from 9:00 to 5:00 like most people and I love to look at my tank in the morning before I leave for work and also in the evening till I go to bed. Well this poses the lighting dilemma. :confused:

This has raised many questions as I go through the options, if I have my lights on from 4:00pm till 10:00 is this enough light? Does the sun account for light during the day when the aquarium lights are off? :nilly:

What I would like to know is if most people have there lights on in the morning / early afternoon (with the sun), or later into the evening to enjoy it after work?

Eggchen74

Feeder Fish
Aug 7, 2011
South East Pa.
12 hours of light is more than you really need for good plant growth provided you have good lights, substrate and fertilizer.
It also depends on the plants you have. Some have very high light needs and others not so much.
Sunlight time does count if its shining directly on your tank.

I run my lights from 5pm to 1am. For a few reasons.
1- the sun shines in from sun up till about noon.
2- my plants do not have hight light needs.
3- I have a "time of day" electric service at my home where electric is cheaper off peak so. I run them mostly off peak.

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
On at 6:30am, off at 11:30pm. Algae is never given a chance to grow in my tank, thanks to my flagtail. ;)
Unless your home all day that's a waste of electricity. Mine are turned on at 5pm and off at 11pm on the weekdays and on the weekends they are on at 3 and off at 11

Sent from my VTAB1008 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Unless your home all day that's a waste of electricity. Mine are turned on at 5pm and off at 11pm on the weekdays and on the weekends they are on at 3 and off at 11

Sent from my VTAB1008 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'm not, but my mom is, and she enjoys watching the fish almost as much as I do, so I just leave the lights on. :)

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I have almost the same schedule as jclyde. On at 6:30 off at 11:00. My wife have a random work schedule so she home different days every week, also the cats enjoy trying to stalk my stock so having the lights on keeps them entertained.

chris_zx2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Montreal
lol fish lights on for the cats! What are your cats hunting? Mine go after my Jags, kind of funny though because the jags also go after the cats!

chris_zx2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Montreal
Those of you who attempt the impossible and keep digging cichlids with your plants, do you find it aggravating to come home everyday to plants uprooted? Even thought I know it will be there when I get home, when I see those floating plants it drives me nuts!

f1shy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
On mfk.com
Those of you who attempt the impossible and keep digging cichlids with your plants, do you find it aggravating to come home everyday to plants uprooted? Even thought I know it will be there when I get home, when I see those floating plants it drives me nuts!
My cichlids just decorate how they please they move gravel all the time and sometimes decorations. They are too busy with the gravel to bother the plants though. Most of the gravel is stirred around when they have their little fights :ROFL: doesn't really bother me that much I guess I'm used to it by now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store