Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62
  1. #21
    Wels Catfish Wiggles92's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Activity
    10-03-2014 9:51 PM
    Posts
    6,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
    They are important, but not a must. I have run several FOWLR tanks that had no powerheads at all with no issues, through regular maintenance the tanks stayed clean. The main point I was making is running them during the cycle makes no difference at all unless you want to see where you have high and low flow.
    Valid points.

    What I'm trying to get at is that the powerheads make that maintenance a little easier especially in larger aquariums; it's not quite as bad in a smaller one.





  2. #22
    Red Devil Purevil21's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Travis
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Last Activity
    03-23-2012 9:20 PM
    Posts
    163
    Very true , I was amazed at the difference it made when I through an MP10 in my old 65 FOWLR. It had run for years without one, but within weeks it really cleaned up and I had to do PWCs less frequently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles92 View Post
    Valid points.

    What I'm trying to get at is that the powerheads make that maintenance a little easier especially in larger aquariums; it's not quite as bad in a smaller one.



  3. #23
    Great Barracuda caribemob's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    philadelphia
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 7:51 PM
    Posts
    2,293
    So if I'm not mistaken, use my HOB's just for rubble rock? No foam no carbon or nothing else, just the filter and the rubble rocks within? So I have them my protein skimmer and the rock within my tank should be enough for filtration, do I have this right.



  4. #24
    Wels Catfish Wiggles92's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Activity
    10-03-2014 9:51 PM
    Posts
    6,172
    Quote Originally Posted by caribemob View Post
    So if I'm not mistaken, use my HOB's just for rubble rock? No foam no carbon or nothing else, just the filter and the rubble rocks within? So I have them my protein skimmer and the rock within my tank should be enough for filtration, do I have this right.
    I would use one of them with foam; you're bound to have a decent number of food particles floating around during and after feeding time. You could also put a bag of SeaChem Purigen in that one in order to help with nitrates and phosphates. The other two filters can be used with rock rubble & chaeto algae in order to make a mini refugium; get a clip light for each one to get the chaeto growing good.



  5. #25
    Great Barracuda caribemob's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    philadelphia
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 7:51 PM
    Posts
    2,293
    Ok I will do, should I put the clip light on the one with the rubble rocks or the one with the purigen and filter pad , this info is very good and today I ordered 80 lbs of sand and 100 pounds of dry rock. I will get the reef octopus skimmer tomorrow on the net. So I finally have the ball rolling. YES


    Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app



  6. #26
    Wels Catfish Wiggles92's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Activity
    10-03-2014 9:51 PM
    Posts
    6,172
    Quote Originally Posted by caribemob View Post
    Ok I will do, should I put the clip light on the one with the rubble rocks or the one with the purigen and filter pad , this info is very good and today I ordered 80 lbs of sand and 100 pounds of dry rock. I will get the reef octopus skimmer tomorrow on the net. So I finally have the ball rolling. YES

    Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
    The light goes on the one with the rubble, but it's only need if you plan on putting chaeto or another type of macro algae in there.



  7. #27
    Great Barracuda caribemob's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    philadelphia
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 7:51 PM
    Posts
    2,293
    I will read up on the algae. Because I never heard of that type. Sounds good so far


    Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app



  8. #28
    Wels Catfish Wiggles92's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Activity
    10-03-2014 9:51 PM
    Posts
    6,172
    Quote Originally Posted by caribemob View Post
    I will read up on the algae. Because I never heard of that type. Sounds good so far


    Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
    The chaeto algae is also known as spaghetti algae; it's pretty much bullet-proof if it has light and will grow very fast if given plenty of light.



  9. #29
    Great Barracuda caribemob's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    philadelphia
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 7:51 PM
    Posts
    2,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles92 View Post
    The chaeto algae is also known as spaghetti algae; it's pretty much bullet-proof if it has light and will grow very fast if given plenty of light.
    How do I produce this algae, do I have to add something to start it's growth, also is the aqua clear 110 HOB big enough to be a refugium or should I by a hang on refugium. Also isnthis reef octopus a hang on? I saw some refugiums slash skimmers for sale are these good and big enough for my tank? What size reef octopus should I get?



  10. #30
    Wels Catfish Wiggles92's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Activity
    10-03-2014 9:51 PM
    Posts
    6,172
    Quote Originally Posted by caribemob View Post
    How do I produce this algae, do I have to add something to start it's growth, also is the aqua clear 110 HOB big enough to be a refugium or should I by a hang on refugium. Also isnthis reef octopus a hang on? I saw some refugiums slash skimmers for sale are these good and big enough for my tank? What size reef octopus should I get?
    You would have to purchase this algae; many LFS's have it for cheap (<$5) as it grows very fast. The AC110 is big enough, but you could buy a hang-on refugium if you want to go bigger; it's worth noting that the hang-on ones can get expensive, so it might just be easier to use what you have.

    I haven't come across the skimmer/refugium combo before, so I'm curious as to who makes them. I'm not sure as to which Reef Octopus you should get as I'm not familiar with that brand, but I can say that you'll want one that's rated for more than your aquarium's volume, if possible.



Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •