marble goby trouble

rjssniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
ohio
for the past few weeks i have switched my marble goby over to eating red worms/ trout worms. i feed him as many as he is willing to eat in a day. which is one maybe two. he is 4 inches in a ten gallon, i have a twenty cycling now and a 55 that is on a stand but not filled yet. my goby has not grown hardly at all. but he may have gotten wider but not longer. water changes are10-25% every 3-7 days. are these guys slow growers. or am i doing something wrong?

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
put him in the 55!

Djjon2165

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Buena Park
Give him feeder fish some rosey's will help him grow

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
feeders are bad!

try getting him to eat brine shrimp. My Jade goby goes crazy for brine shrimp

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
feeders are bad!

try getting him to eat brine shrimp. My Jade goby goes crazy for brine shrimp
feeders arent bad another myth pushed by this site. i have been raising marble sleeper gobys for 20 years and all have eaten feeders. i have a breeding pair and 3 other tanks of marble gobys and all eat feeders. feed your fish some feeders and fatten him up also use live earthworms and live shrimp and crayfish if you can get them. also jade gobys are not really preadatory in the wild they feed on micro organisms. they actually make good substrate cleaners

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
Store bought disease infested, parasite carrying feeders are horribad. gold fish and other cold water species are also not the best for them to eat.

IMHO, if you have to feed live, feed them fish that you personally have bred, and hopefully if you are a good aquariaist, you will be able to produce disease and parasite free live feed for your kick ass goby. Honestly I have convicts that I use sparingly as feeders for my fish while i convert them over to pellets/frozen.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Store bought disease infested, parasite carrying feeders are horribad. gold fish and other cold water species are also not the best for them to eat.

IMHO, if you have to feed live, feed them fish that you personally have bred, and hopefully if you are a good aquariaist, you will be able to produce disease and parasite free live feed for your kick ass goby. Honestly I have convicts that I use sparingly as feeders for my fish while i convert them over to pellets/frozen.
first off the world is bigger than where you live. all pet store feeders are not keep up the same way i have lfs who dont just let the fish sit in dirty water untreated for disease and unfeed until there sold. second i buy about 400 per week and i feed them and treat with parasite med most of the time. third all preadatory fish eat sick weak and old fish in the wild thats their main purpose for being preadators if your fish are truly healthy the feeders wont bother them. i have a breeding pair with a 16 inch male so op you choose whos advice you want to take on feeding all 4 tanks of my marbled gobys are doing great on live food. only fish that get sick im my house were my cichlids and all they ate were cichlid pellets that stink up the tank , filters and the fishroom. people push pellets because they are cheap. you can see my gobys in the post below monster marble gobys.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc

also you gotta do your homework and stop giving false info goldfish and marbled goby come from some of the same water systems in asia so goldfish are a natrual food source in their home waters. and marbled goby are used in fish farms to eat the sick and weak fish in the ponds to help maintain a healthy food population

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store