Green Jack Dempsey Project

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Green Jack Dempsey Project

Hello everyone,
I've been a forum reader here for a while and am now a member & would like to share my project with you all.

I'm sure a lot of you know what it takes to breed ebjd's (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's) and Gold Dempsey's. Well I've taken it a step further. I'm speaking of the recessive genes in both fish the blue and the gold. If you know the genetics of the Jack Dempsey you'll know that the wild type gene known as the Regular gene is dominant & the blue and gold are recessive.

Genes: + = wild-type gene (dominant)
b = electric-blue gene (recessive)
g = gold gene (recessive)
Fish:

wild JD = +/+ +/+
BGJD = +/b +/+
GGJD = +/+ +/g
gold JD = +/+ g/g
EBJD = b/b +/+
BGGG JD = +/b +/g
GG EBJD = b/b +/g
BG gold = +/b g/g

Goal:
"green" JD = b/b g/g

Well a friend of mine started this project (GregTheCrazyFishGuy)& I just followed and continued to the End result now.

I have some baby fry that hatched Feb 2 this year 2012 & I am able to confirm all geno types in the spawn.
There are

EBJD = b/b +/+
Gold JD = +/+ g/g
BGGG JD = +/b +/g just like the parents
and
Wild JD = +/+ +/+ BGJD = +/b +/+ GGJD = +/+ +/g
GG EBJD = b/b +/g BG Gold = +/b g/g
also in the spawn are
"Green" JD = b/b g/g
which is the goal I was reaching for.
I'll post a few pics that I have of the fry right now, but they are still very young but you can clearly see the gold and ebjd fry.

DSC01454.JPG

DSC01440.JPG

Thank You for looking
Please Reply
Jill
P.S. I will update pics as they grow ;)

DSC01454.JPG

DSC01440.JPG

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Can you describe how green Jds look to me? Cuz don't regular ones already have green scales and stuff? Or is it going to be like a ebjd but just green instead?

Sent from my cave

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
The Green JD's will not look like what you describe (Regular Wild Type). They will look like a blue or a gold with traits from the other geno type. The babies are still very small, so a good description isn't possible. I'm sorry, but I'm still waiting for results myself & will share them with everyone here.

thank you

Jill

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
very cool. i hope it turns out how you want to. if they do come out good looking they could be the next big thing like ebjds are now.

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
doomiedee

Very Sweet of you to think so, but to get this fish (Green JD) is no easy feat. Not to mention the quality of the fish. See, it will inherit 2 recessive genes hopefully carrying the dominant gene to strengthen it. Only time will tell, but w/out a doubt it will be a beautiful fish.

Thank You for your interest

Jill

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
doomiedee

Very Sweet of you to think so, but to get this fish (Green JD) is no easy feat. Not to mention the quality of the fish. See, it will inherit 2 recessive genes hopefully carrying the dominant gene to strengthen it. Only time will tell, but w/out a doubt it will be a beautiful fish.

Thank You for your interest

Jill
lol i'm new to the whole breeding and hybrid thing being that the only fish i've ever got to spawn is convicts witch are super easy and recently firemouths from my WE HAVE EGGS! thread but i was thinking if you can make red texas cichlids by crossing a texas and a king kong parrot or red devil maybe you could do it the same way with jds cross them to a green texas then after a few batches cross it back to a jd

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Small Update

This morning I observed the babies for a little bit. They are so CUTE!!!
The larger ones are showing their pattern now.
The Blue/golds (GREEN) are beautiful, but so are the ebjds and the golds.

Jill

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store