Big outdoor Pond building in Brno,CZ!

exiton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
Sweden
I have been instructed to design and construct a outdoor pond! I have a wide experience in aquariums but never had anything to do with a pond before and especially not build one so this is going to be really interesting!

I will get access to everything I need, for example people who carry out the practicality of the construction, and the budget is high, so I have high hopes to be able to fix it up real good!

The idea is so low-tech as absolutely possible! That is so natural filtration as possible. Has only planed to use pumps that carry around the water for the filtration depending on what that will be, but more on that later!

I dont have they exact dimensions, but approximately 25meters 10-20m wide and 10m deep at its deepest point. 33feet to 66feets wide and 33feets deep on its deepest spot.

So with zero pond experience, I feel I have a lot to learn and need some help! ;)

What is the best to fill the bottom with to keep it sealed?
What do you think about the filtration of the pond?

exiton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
Sweden
The tip Ive got to keep it from leeking is to build 19inches of macadam then use Styrofoam covered with rebar and treated concret.

And some pics of the hole
IMG_2935.JPGIMG_2930.JPGIMG_2928.JPGIMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2930.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Hello, interesting spot for a pond. Will make for lots of space for bog areas that provide filtration.

I was thrown in the deep same like you. Had a big fish on my doorstep and needed a fast, low budget and simple pond.
Now I am using liner, but seems you have the budget to get it concrete.
Not sure about the soil condition there, but have bottom drains installed and get that water to a collection pit.
From there you can pump it through bog-areas, which surround the pond.
Given the beautiful area, I would for sure pump part of the water to the highest point and create a cascading waterfall with big flat stones.

By using bog areas, you are creating big filter areas and water in there just gravity feeds back into to main pond.
You would also fully comply with the specs from the customer who only wants to use a pump for circulation.

Have a look at the arapaima pond I am building.
Lots of pictures and explanation on what I am planning and doing there.
Same idea, only 2 pumps for circulation and a couple of valves to clean out rubbish. No filter pads, nothing..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
another so called pond build when it's actually a "lake" lol haha update with pics asap!

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
First off bottom drains, essential to pond design, a decent 4'' will pull 4x4 meters.. start there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store