TITAN AQUATICS 374g (externail) build 96"x30"x30"

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Well the time has come to upgrade the 240RR glass cages tank at my house. Nothing wrong with the tank other than I am over the wetdry setup and well if im changing that up I might as well make it bigger right :naughty:

Here is the 240 build thread http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?228835-240g-Hap-Peacock-setup-800-watts-of-Metal-Halide-light-DIY-wetdry-PICS

I have already torn down the 240 and sold it but still have the stand and canopy. I am having the cabinet place that built it make some adjustments to accept the new 30" footprint. That should go to them in the next week or so.

When looking for a new tank I was going to go with another glass tank from glass cages. At first I was going to do a 96x24x30tall with starphire and black silicone but after seeing that GC would still use 1/2" for 30" tall and the cost to go to 3/4" was a sizeable jump I started looking at other options. So I decided I would look at acrylic for the first time and sent out several emails to different places I have seen on here...some replied...some just didn’t even reply.

The company I decided to go with is Titan Aquatics http://www.titanaquatic.com/. This is the best of the best from the now closed Tenacor and the contact person I started talking to was Neal Moir neal@titanaquatic.com. It was an absolute pleasure talking to him through out the whole process. Being new to acrylic I had tons of questions about it, trying to figure out what I wanted tank size and hole wise, and how I was going to filter it. Neal never had a issue with the tons of questions and always was extremely prompt in replying so I felt very comfortable going with the guys at Titan to build my new tank. I decided to use fx5's to filter the tank and was able to send them a clip from it so they could make sure it would fit the way I wanted, Awesome customer service!!

So after tons of emails we settle on a drawing for a new tank for me, 96x30x30. Top and sides are 3/4" and the bottom is 1/2" since it will be fully supported on the bottom. Two openings with lids, cutouts on the lids for handles AND feeding holes with covers for those holes. Three openings on the back for the 3 fx5's I’ll be running and will be able to use the stock U clips. I didn’t want to have to mess with bulkheads and PVC pipe...I wanted stock tubes intakes and return nozzles. There are also two 2" holes in either corners...this is where ill run air hose for 2 bubble walls in each corner and also the plugs for 2 power heads ill have in each back corner. Then on the back will be some black vinyl to finish it all off.

So after this gets finalized, ordered, and paid for comes the hard part...the wait! They were pretty busy at Titan and had a few tanks in front of me...that was ok because my cabinet guys were backed up as well and would not have time to fix me up. I let Titan know this and just kept in touch to see what the progress of things were. Well time has come that the cabinet people are clearing up and Titan was about ready to start cutting up some acrylic for me. Being that it was Mardi Grass time here I decided to send the crew a nice tasty King Cake from the best place around to get one from. I figure what better way to start a project then with some tasty cake...the shop dog even got a lil taste.

After some good ol cake it was time to make the first cuts on my tank and some of the panels were born. This is where im at now and will get more pics as they build. I will post things as they go...enjoy.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
The 240 was all male Africans Haps and Peacocks. The setup will be mostle male (couple female) SA/CA mix with a school of Clow Loachs and some Tinfoils for dithers. It will probably have more fish in the beginning than what will stay. I'll pull out ones as they grow that will not work with the others.

Here are a few older shots of what I had started with in a 125 im holding them in. I'll get some updated ones...

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I am still not sure what I am going to do about heating the tank. I'll have the 3 fx5's running and on one ill probably put a 36w UV inline. I have looked at the inline heaters (hydor and Rainbow lifeguard) but I dont know if I want to slow them all up that much. So I might just put 3 250w Aqueon Pro (black) heaters in the tank by the filter intakes OR get some smaller cheap canisters to run the inline Hydor heaters...im open to input.

For lights I had 2 400w MH on the last tank 2' off the water and loved the shimmer but hated the bulb life and replacement cost so I sold them. On this tank I would like to LEDs but haven’t decided yet...might do a mix of T5's and LED. That way I can get full coverage the shimmer and less operation cost and bulb cost...any thoughts on the lighting let me hear it.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
my favorite part were the pastries lol
?

You talking about the bacterial infection I had in the 125 with the fish im holding for this tank? That did stink...didnt loose anything and they are healing but im not sure everything is 100% yet. Thats the issue of overcrowding them in that 125...didnt think I would run into a issue before this tank was done but I did lol. I am just glad I am medicating 120ish gallons not 340ish :D

m_class2g

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
can't wait to see this thing done!

titanaquatic made my tank and its great!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store