Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    12-30-2012 9:19 AM

Dont do Stiphodon gobies.

I bought a beautiful pair of S. elegans and I knew that they were vegetarians and that their diet consisted of algae, so I let algae grow in their tank for months, tons of it, even blue-green algae, which they like. The tank was very well established. They went through the algae in roughly three weeks, then they stopped eating altogether. I bought algae tabs i transferred algae from other tanks and nothing. The female died yesterday and I frantically moved the now alone male to a tank with more algae. I don't know what Ill do after that. Long story short I just don't see this species doing well in an aquarium setting, they're just to demanding, at least for me! At least I can say that I tried.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    01-23-2013 12:59 PM
    I have 12 of them and I think they're great for an aquarium. I keep them with bb gobys, scarled badis, clown killi and bumphead gobys. I don't think they're bad for an aquarium at all. They have awesome little personalities and readily scavenge on anything, not just algae.
    Here's my photography website
    http://brianstelter.zenfolio.com/f359600180

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    12-30-2012 9:19 AM
    Really? Mine just ate and ate and ate for a few weeks until it was all gone. I tried everything after that, frozen bllodworms, mysis shrimp, daphnia, live daphnia. algae tabs, i tried introducing algae. nothing. I guess it depends on the individual fish!

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-21-2014 9:15 PM
    blue green algae can release toxins to the water
    Sent from my SGS III GT-I9300 using My Fingers