Dont do Stiphodon gobies.

Theseabean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
I bought a beautiful pair of S. elegans and I knew that they were vegetarians and that their diet consisted of algae, so I let algae grow in their tank for months, tons of it, even blue-green algae, which they like. The tank was very well established. They went through the algae in roughly three weeks, then they stopped eating altogether. I bought algae tabs i transferred algae from other tanks and nothing. The female died yesterday:cry: and I frantically moved the now alone male to a tank with more algae. I don't know what Ill do after that. Long story short I just don't see this species doing well in an aquarium setting, they're just to demanding, at least for me! At least I can say that I tried.

Antithesis123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
Oregon
I have 12 of them and I think they're great for an aquarium. I keep them with bb gobys, scarled badis, clown killi and bumphead gobys. I don't think they're bad for an aquarium at all. They have awesome little personalities and readily scavenge on anything, not just algae.

Theseabean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Really? Mine just ate and ate and ate for a few weeks until it was all gone. I tried everything after that, frozen bllodworms, mysis shrimp, daphnia, live daphnia. algae tabs, i tried introducing algae. nothing. I guess it depends on the individual fish!

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
blue green algae can release toxins to the water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store