Zebra danio as feeders!!

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
I am using zebra danios as feeders for my 8" gars. I am curious whats the best feeder fish you guys have ever tried . I am using these as feeders because i can get one for 0.7 $ , and. Becouse my gars cant swallow the bigger goldfish.
I am inteerested in knowing how does dario rerio compare to other feeders:
1)in nutritional value
2)market price
3)presence of destructive enzymes ( goldfish contains thiamine destroyin enzymes)
4)being palatbale and easily swallowed (many fish are lost choking on large feeders...)
5) any other thing I missed to mention

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Generally any species in minnow family doesn't makes a good feeder fish for predatory fishes. Livebearers will be great choice as feeder fish.

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
You should try breeding feeders, goldfish are noy really a very good diet for ny fish yjere mostly fat, or you should feed goldfish and other foods aswell

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
zebra danios are as easy as any other to breed. They are a great small feeder. Convicts are a great, just as easy, option for a larger feeder. I wouldnt worry about thiaminase with these options

redfish_33

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Lafayette, La
how much do convicts cost ? after all they are cichlids, I've never heard of cichlid feeders ?!
Convicts are cheap , 2 to 3 dollars maybe at petco or petsmart. They will spawn every 2 weeks or quicker if you take out the fry and they produce alot of fry each time. I always see deformed ones for "adoption" at petco here , probably from all the inbreeding.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
Convicts are cheap , 2 to 3 dollars maybe at petco or petsmart. They will spawn every 2 weeks or quicker if you take out the fry and they produce alot of fry each time. I always see deformed ones for "adoption" at petco here , probably from all the inbreeding.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thats great to know , but for now i guess ill go with zebra danios . The reason is that convicts have a wider body and are harder to swallow if your a gar . Danios are slender and long with soft fins perfect for gars :)
Does anyone have one of those charts that compare feeder fish nutritional value . I guess not all feeders have the same protein content and some contain fats more than others , really need some solid info to compare .

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store