Live Bald Eagle Camera

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The Decorah pair successfully raised and fledged three eaglets last year. Here's a site that gives other bald eagle cams:

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/index.php?forum=14

Carolina Raptor Center's Savanah and Derek already have a little one.
eaglet.jpg

Norfolk Botanical Gardens has really good cams. The beautiful parents successfully raised 3 babies two years ago. Last year they also had three babies. The mother was killed by a landing jet, and the eaglets were "rescued" and placed in a rescue center until they fledged and were released. There was no way the father could have fed and raised all three by himself. This year, there has been great drama at the nest. The father had at least two girlfriends, and viewers were concerned about the outcome. It looks like he settled for the younger female who still has a little black on her head and tail. Like the Decorah parents, the Norfolk pair are very gorgeous.

Shepherdstown had great tragedy last year---the father disappeared, and the mother stayed on the nest for a long time. Without food, the poor baby died. This season, the mother has a younger looking mate.

There are lots of drama on these nests. Unfortunately the survival rate at one year is about 50%, so there are usually some tears associated with watching these eagle cams. I started watching bald eagle cams in 2009. The Sidney nest was my favorite. They had three babies. The survival rate of three is not very good, as the older siblings sometimes kill the smaller younger one. At one point I quit watching because I knew that "Tiny" was going to die. He was a survivor, though. He was a lot of peoples favorite, and someone compiled scenes of him in the nest. His older sisters were nicknamed the "godzilla sisters". They were so mean. It really looked like they were going to kill him. He could only eat after they had eaten themselves into a comatose state. He learned to be cagey and crafty, and spent most of his life in the nest in a very cowering, humble manner. He would turn his back to the feeding and cry because he was so hungry. Many nights he cried himself to sleep. Later he chased a little bird out of the nest. He got his foot caught in twine, and there were calls to the TV and radio stations, as thousands of viewers were really upset. Canadian laws prohibit approaching an eagle nest when there are babies in it. As his sisters were about to fledge, one of them pile drove him through the edge of the nest. It took him nine days to make it back into the nest. He became a screeching/squawking fledging that took no guff from anyone. He was my absolute favorite eaglet. Parts of the video are still hard for me to watch :(

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20090718190021410

Just as there are drama in the nests, there is also a lot of drama with the cams. The Sidney parents built a new nest this year, and the land owner refused to let Hancock Wildlife put a cam in the tree. Hornby Island with Ma and Pa Hornby (they are in their 20s) was the first bald eagle cam. The cams are not available for public viewing this season, although someone is putting a cam close enough that we will be able to see the Hornbys from a distance. The Redding, CA eagles, Patriot and Liberty built a new nest this year, so no cam there either.

Be prepared for lots of drama, sometimes great sorrow, but always incredible viewing into the home life of these magnificent creatures. Decorah and Norfolk and White Rock (if they use that nest this year) have the best cams that can zoom in and out.

These magnificent creatures mate for life. They share parenting responsibilities, with the father incubating the eggs and carefully feeding the little ones. There are no his and her duties---they equally share the parenting duties, although the mother usually spends the night in the nest. We humans can learn a lot from these eagles.

eaglet.jpg

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store