Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Joe
    Last Activity
    10-15-2014 4:53 PM

columbian cat shark

Hi guys i have a columbian cat shark in full salt but they're only about 4 inches. Its only temporary because i wanted a hardy fish to cycle my tank but ive kept them in there for over four months. I was wondering if they were reef compatible because i was looking to buy anemones and mushroom corals hoping to make it a reef tank soon. ANy help would be great. Im thinking about bringing them back to the store soon but in the meantime just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Brian
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 4:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanatic80 View Post
    Hi guys i have a columbian cat shark in full salt but they're only about 4 inches. Its only temporary because i wanted a hardy fish to cycle my tank but ive kept them in there for over four months. I was wondering if they were reef compatible because i was looking to buy anemones and mushroom corals hoping to make it a reef tank soon. ANy help would be great. Im thinking about bringing them back to the store soon but in the meantime just wanted to know what you guys thought.
    Quick answer: Yes they are.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Joe
    Last Activity
    alright thanks, does anyone know how to handle an anemone. Are you allowed to touch it or no. i wanted to try to put it in spot in my tank but i hear they move, any truth to this?

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Brian
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 4:24 PM
    If touching them is ok depends on the species..and yes they will move.

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK Red Devil's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    elizabeth
    Keep in mind that after this little guy has been in full salt he would not be able to go back to fresh water with out ill effects.. and most lfs stores keep them in fresh water {where they were born} until they are about 4 inches and then they need brackish and then salt to thrive.. otherwise their skin turns black..and they perish..since you already have kept him in full salt.. this is where they need to be for good.. glad you are keeping him...
    Be yourself.... everyone else is taken:
    We donít measure by inches any more, We measure by feet!

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Joe
    Last Activity
    Yeah since the columbian cats are reef safe ill just keep them. I just got the a long tentacle anemone and its moving in a spot where i dont think it will get much light. Should i be concerned and move it or just let it be.

community hemorrhoid KellyFrancis's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 3:56 PM
    Blog Entries
    One is going to assume if he can move himself there to begin with, he can move himself away if he doesn't like it, right? I wouldn't worry about it. I find that my tank gets along best if I stop trying to mother it. My fish know better than I ever will how they will thrive best with the conditions I give them. At least, that's how I'm learning to look at things.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumoNinja View Post
    you can choose to look like a wookie if you want.