columbian cat shark

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Hi guys i have a columbian cat shark in full salt but they're only about 4 inches. Its only temporary because i wanted a hardy fish to cycle my tank but ive kept them in there for over four months. I was wondering if they were reef compatible because i was looking to buy anemones and mushroom corals hoping to make it a reef tank soon. ANy help would be great. Im thinking about bringing them back to the store soon but in the meantime just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Hi guys i have a columbian cat shark in full salt but they're only about 4 inches. Its only temporary because i wanted a hardy fish to cycle my tank but ive kept them in there for over four months. I was wondering if they were reef compatible because i was looking to buy anemones and mushroom corals hoping to make it a reef tank soon. ANy help would be great. Im thinking about bringing them back to the store soon but in the meantime just wanted to know what you guys thought.
Quick answer: Yes they are.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
alright thanks, does anyone know how to handle an anemone. Are you allowed to touch it or no. i wanted to try to put it in spot in my tank but i hear they move, any truth to this?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Keep in mind that after this little guy has been in full salt he would not be able to go back to fresh water with out ill effects.. and most lfs stores keep them in fresh water {where they were born} until they are about 4 inches and then they need brackish and then salt to thrive.. otherwise their skin turns black..and they perish..since you already have kept him in full salt.. this is where they need to be for good.. glad you are keeping him...

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Yeah since the columbian cats are reef safe ill just keep them. I just got the a long tentacle anemone and its moving in a spot where i dont think it will get much light. Should i be concerned and move it or just let it be.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
One is going to assume if he can move himself there to begin with, he can move himself away if he doesn't like it, right? I wouldn't worry about it. I find that my tank gets along best if I stop trying to mother it. :) My fish know better than I ever will how they will thrive best with the conditions I give them. At least, that's how I'm learning to look at things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store