Large schooling fish for a planted tank

isellcars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
ATX
I am setting up a 90g planted tank that will have a 29g sump tank. I have neon tetras, danios, platies, a few tiger barbs, 4 dwarf gouramis, bamboo shrimp, 2 vampire shrimp and 1 tiger pleco with a golden nugget and maybe a zebra to follow. So all the fish I have are small and I thought it would be a good idea to add some large fish to the tank (max 6")....I first wanted angel fish or discus, but found out the will eat my smaller fish. So I thought, great idea, I will get silver dollars but I am being told they will eat my plants. Can anybody suggest a large community fish that won't eat my plants and gets along with others? I really want to be able to have 3-6 of them and not just 1 big fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Puntius filamentosus (aka- Filament Barb or Black Spot Barb)

This fish is a stunner. Especially when the males get their breeding color, they are amazing. I just came across them recently and I think I'm going to get a school for my tank. They grow to 6", seem peaceful and are a schooling fish.

Another option is Puntius denisonii (aka Denison Barb, Torpedo Barb or Roseline Barb). They also max out at 6" and are very good looking. I had a weird experience with these guys...I bought 6 of them because they are supposed to be a schooling fish. Within one week, the dominant 3 had killed the weaker 3. I didn't buy any more because these guys are expensive ($15 each) and I didn't want risk them killing any new additions. Even though I basically wasted $45 on the three casualties, I didn't regret getting them. They are one of my favorite smaller schooling fish.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I have 5 filamentosa barbs that I have grown up for the last 2 years and as mentioned they are stunning. see my sig thread for pics (near the end of the thread lol).

however, they will eat most plants. so they are probably not an option for a planted tank unless you have very tough leaved species like anubias.

the roseline barbs however, are fine.

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
What about rainbowfish? The yellow herbertaxelrods would add a nice complimentary color to the fish you have now and they can reach 5"

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Check out parkinsoni rainbows. Males are incredible when there orange and steel blue colors come in. I have 4 in my 50 that are jst starting to color up and I can hardly wait. Every day when I get home from work I check to see if these guys colors have poped yet.

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
I'd say discus, they shouldnt eat your fish. Angels will more than discus, if anything. Ive kept 7-8 discus with 24 neons. Never did I see them chase or go after smaller fish like tetras. Now they have been territorial with other dwarf cichlids I had in the tank..Rainbows of course are an excellent addition

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store