New Brackish tank

VaceCooper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
Rochester, MN
Hi, just signed up on this site. I was excited to see there is a forum just for brackish water aquariums. My wife and I just started up a brackish 55 gallon... someday move up to a 90. Its only at .002 sg right now, because we just moved our 3 columbian sharks their from a freshwater tank. We have some mono fish on order at our LFS, and some nerite snails. We also have a 90 gallon south american cichlid tank, a 55 gallon african, and a 20 gallon "time out tank".

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and see if anybody has any good advice for a brackish noob!
Thanks!
-Vace

P.S. and our 6 year old has a 10 gallon spongebob squarepants tank ;)

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
Sounds like A very active tank- which monos are you getting? I have some mono argentus and two cats in my brackish - they are very active and get pretty big- post some pics if you get a chance

VaceCooper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
Rochester, MN
Well, Im not sure what kind of monos im getting yet... I had our LFS put them on the "fish wish list", and they are going to call me when they find out what their supplier has. Is the argentus the ones with the yellow fins? I really like those ones. Here is a couple pictures of when i had the tank cycling, i'll try and get some pictures with the sharkys in it later today.

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
Nice looking tank, looks like they'll have ample swimming room for a little while. and yes the argentus have the yellow coloration. 026.JPG
these are mine - hard to get pics because they are so active

026.JPG

VaceCooper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
Rochester, MN
you can never go wrong with archers, they are some awesome fish. you should try and get some scats
I am a little scared of scats, we wanted them but we read that they are dinner plates with fins, where as the monos are more like a salad plate with fins... We definitely want to have a larger brackish tank in the future... maybe scats then. and archer fish would be cool! If i had one I would have a squirt gun next to the tank so I could have a water gun fight with it!

By the way, how long of a car ride could a fish be safely transported on? We know that we can get brackish fish around the Twin Cities area, but that would be about a 90-minute drive home. Thanks!

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
90 minutes would be fine - just keep the temp stable and acclimate them properly when you get them home.

VaceCooper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
Rochester, MN
So, our monos finally came in at the pet store the other day. Yes! lucky my wife stopped in to grab some food, they never even called us! Bastards! they are the argentus monos, and there was only 2 left. Im guessing the rest of them went to someones freshwater tank. But im super exited to have something in there besides the columbian sharks! heres a crappy picture of one of them... they didnt want to hold still.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store