Planning pond

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hey everyone I am planning an above ground pond. It will be a 2x4 frame with plywood and insulation board on the inside along with insulation in between the 2x4's plus an insulatated lid that will be removed for viewing/feeding. I have not decided whether it will be tropical or not.

Here are my options:
(they will come inside for winter)

1. 8'x7'x2' 840 gallon pond for res turtle/koi/goldfish
2. 8'x7'x2' 840 gallon catfish pond (heated)
3. 8'x4'x2' 480 gallon catfish pond (heated)

Would 1 500 watt heater work for the 840 gallon or would I need 2 500 watt heaters?
What about the 480 gallon pond? 1 500 watt heater should work fine right?
I need temperatures of about 70-75

p.s I live in Canada so the temperature is usually 21-28 Celsius

Here are some fish I would like to stock it with:
rtc
tsn
arowana
tiger oscar
(yes I am aware that these fish get very big)
any suggestions would be appreciated

kenjivaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2011
fresno
Looking at the size of pond your going to build. I think it would be better if you just build and indoor pond. An 4' x 4' x 8' long. This will be easier for you. Might not need an heater cause of room temperature. Plus this will stop from moving it inside and outside during the season like you said. But if you decide to build outdoor i would go bigger. Maybe and 8' x 12' x 2-3' high. On my above the ground pond I just stack 2x4 to build it. No insulation.

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well my parents will never let a pond that size for indoor except for maybe a small stock tank during the winter months. So I am forced to go out door. I figured that a smaller pond would need less heater. And in order to go 8'x12' I would have to order the liner online, I am trying to buy the stuff local.

With the 8'x4'x2' pond I could always enlarge it to 8'x7'x2' since they both will use the same size liner.
Anyway does any one know what size heater I would need to heat a 500 gallon pond?

kenjivaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2011
fresno
Above the ground pond will get colder. Smaller pond will freeze up. Big ponds won't . Small ponds are easier to heat up. But big pond keep the temperture regulated or stable. You make the choice. Anyway you can't have small stock tank to keep your monster fish inside. It have to be an 180gallon tank or bigger to stock big fishes. Before buying an pond heater. Have you look into how much it will cost to run an heater in a pond? I don't use an heater in my koi pond. It would cost to much to heat it up. I am already running a 200 watt heater and 150 watt for my fish tanks already. Think about the bill. Unless you have the money.

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not concerned about the pond freezing as they will come inside in a stock tank probably 200 gallons or maybe a 6' 24" deep circle kiddy pool.

As for the heaters I have calculated that it will cost roughly $216/per year for 500 watt and $432/per year for 1000 watts

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Your going to need like 2000 Watts plus. I would plan a min 2000watts to keep it the temperature your looking for. No joke. If you don't your pond will be going cold and won't hold a steady temperature at all. Even insulating it really well will make it better but hard with it that cold.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Also fish you selected need a min 300 gallons for a winter indoor home. And that's when they are small a red tail cat will grow to 2 feet in about a year

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
hmmmm I asked some people who have ponds in the same city as me and they said there ponds are around 20-30 degrees. So I really only need the heater to bump it up a few degrees if needed.

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have been playing around with dimensions and if I drop 1ft in length I can make it 3' high (7'x4'x3'). Or I could do 7'x7'x3'.
Do I need 3' of height or should I just go with 2' ?

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Honestly I don't think an outdoor tropical pond in Canada is even a good idea.

I needed 1,000 watts to heat my pond in my BASEMENT from 62 at air temp to 80 degrees with a stryo lid PLUS the walls are insulated under the pond liner. The bigger the footprint, the more heat loss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store