Oscar stomach exploded?

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
So I went to the city yesterday and when I left my Oscar had a full belly of cichlid sticks and happy. Came back today to him having a white jelly like scab on it (which fell off when I netted him to see), which ended being a cavernous hole in his underbelly. He's happy as a clam but I wanted to know how serious this is. He's been power fed but never over fed

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
Can we see a picture?
Sometimes my oscar will eat waaaay too much and when he tries to pass, it looks like his a** is going to explode!! This quite often causes him to develop a white area. Im not sure if this is related in anyway, but he always seems to recover, so fingers crossed for your guy.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
I never understood the whole concept of rationale of "power feeding". If it doesn't imply over feeding, what does it mean.

I would think that if the fish has a "huge cavernous hole" in the underbelly...it's going to die.
A very valid point. By power feeding I basically meant feeding normal amounts but doing it 2-3 times a day instead of the usual single daily feeding. Obviously once the fish reaches 7" I'll back off to every other day. I'll try to snap a pic tonight, he doesn't act like its even there. We'll see...

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
If you are "Power Feeding" to increase the growth rate of your Oscar, there is really no need to. They grow very fast with much less frequent and abundant feedings. Fish can only assimilate so much in a day. By feeding too much, the new food only forces the body to expel the previous meal well before it can be properly assimilated. This will also cause the water to become fouled quicker, giving you more work than you need to have. I understand feeding fry more often but a juvenile cichlid doesn't usually benefit from it. I would cut back on the feedings and feed a good staple food. I hope your Oscar makes it.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
A very valid point. By power feeding I basically meant feeding normal amounts but doing it 2-3 times a day instead of the usual single daily feeding. Obviously once the fish reaches 7" I'll back off to every other day. I'll try to snap a pic tonight, he doesn't act like its even there. We'll see...

If the purpose of the feeding to encourage growth, forget power feeding and instead try more frequent large water changes. I attended a seminar once where Dr. Wayne Leibel suggested that water changes were the single biggest factor in the fish's growth. It's a policy I've personally embraced for many years. Just like people, a fish that is fed an overabundance of calories stands to have health issues. As I am sure you are aware, fish don't eat as frequently in the wild. A period of a day or two of fasting isn't a bad idea.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your fish.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
If the purpose of the feeding to encourage growth, forget power feeding and instead try more frequent large water changes. I attended a seminar once where Dr. Wayne Leibel suggested that water changes were the single biggest factor in the fish's growth. It's a policy I've personally embraced for many years. Just like people, a fish that is fed an overabundance of calories stands to have health issues. As I am sure you are aware, fish don't eat as frequently in the wild. A period of a day or two of fasting isn't a bad idea.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your fish.
Thanks Mo, much appreciated and will do!

Hellman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Rotterdam
I have been doing water changes every 4 to 5 days and the fish grow at a nice rate I feed once a day and they are fine some times I forget to feed them and they get food every 2 days then

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store