Best live plants for nitr(i,a)tes & ammonia

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
I'm thinking about purchasing a 1 gallon hob refugium that's comes with an air pump, lights, and seperators along with return pump and such and such... The dimensions are 8 x 5.5 x 5 (inches). What plant (if any) can be placed in this? If there is any plant that can be placed inside, then what about good nitrate/ite ammonia eaters? Height isn't so much a problem because once it passes 8" it will be transfered to the 55 gallon tank. Height is a problem if it can't stand a beating from 2ebjd and a parrot fish. I would prefer the plant to be a permanent resident if possible. I HAVE successfully kept amazon swords in this tank but obviously not the refugium cuz it hasn't been purchased yet. Nobody cared about it except for my synodontis who kept trying to eat the roots. Lighting isn't a problem either its like 4watts per gallon. If it needs less or more light i can compensate.Also, can 2 feeder guppies safely survive in a 1 gallon refugium and breed for my big fish to eat the fry? To small? Then how about 3 gallons? Tight squeeze? Do-able?
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I'd just cram it with java fern. I think key is something that grows fast and I can't keep any plants alive but java fern is freak and I can't kill it. I have to throw out a couple handfuls every month from a 40g I have it in and I noticed that even though I never do water changes, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is under 20 ppm

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Duckweed is a really good option, but with that little amount of surface area I'm not sure how big of an impact it would actually make. As for breeding guppy's in there, that seems WAY too small. The mother will just turn around and eat them all in such close quarters. The 3 gallon MAY work but you have to provide cover of some kind or be really diligent about pulling out the fry.

EDIT: why don't you just seed Duckweed in your primary tank?

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
Duckweed is a really good option, but with that little amount of surface area I'm not sure how big of an impact it would actually make. As for breeding guppy's in there, that seems WAY too small. The mother will just turn around and eat them all in such close quarters. The 3 gallon MAY work but you have to provide cover of some kind or be really diligent about pulling out the fry.

EDIT: why don't you just seed Duckweed in your primary tank?
Would it be able to withstand jack dempsey and parrot cichlid attacks?

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
Can anybody recommend an hob sump/refugium/breeder box over the 1 gallon range for under 100$? I've found one for a gallon and another for a half gallon. It doesn't have to come with pump or lights just the tank.
IMPORTANT

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
I wouldnt recommend a 1 gallon to breed guppies, but it can work. My friend has a 1 gallon packed so full of guppies that you cant see through the tank. He never tried to breed, they just added up over the years. I dont even know how the parents didnt eat them all, I cant get that much productivity out of a heavily planted 10 g but never under-estimate a horny school

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store