SUMP or CANISTER

MC.Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
worcester
Here is a big question i know alot of you have ask but which is better? SUMP or CANISTER FILTER? im running canister but im having sec thoughts lol but what are the negatives and positive of both and which would you chose?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I prefer a sump because of customization. Show me a canister that moves 5500gph, can hide my heaters and stuff and hold 60l pond matrix and I might convert.

rokit_armor

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
kansas
I currently run canister, but I feel very limited. If I want more GPH, i have to buy a whole new unit instead of just a bigger pump. I have only so much space to add bio or mech filtration. Can only do submerged bio filtration, instead of wet/dry that a sump can get. Canister performance can degrade over time as mech filtration gets clogged. maintenance basically requires an entire canister teardown, which means your filtration is none during maintenance times.
I can't wait to get my sump going.

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
In my opinion, canisters are a great thing if you use more than one or use it with a HOB.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I also like sumps. I have a sump on my 125g african cichlid tank, while my wife has a fluval canister on her 75g turtle tank. There are some things I would change about my sump if I ever make one, but it is much easier to clean and is more customizable than my wife's canister.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Depends on stock and tank size and also how much u feed and change water. For a 55-75-90-120-150 w/ medium stock a canister and a hob will suffice. Now if u have a huge tank and huge stock then either u blow 500$ on a 2-3 good canisters or buy a sump and go that route. But ive heard a few horror stories on them before, either way to very efficient ways of filtration

#1 S. Vettel

MC.Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
worcester
hmm now im starting to think of adding a sump with my canisters lol but would a 20 high do good for a 125? and what kind of pumps would you use and how would you lay out the sump i kinda want a drip plate to it for bio balls

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Sump is better. I just never made the switch and just recently spent 150.00 for a brand new FX5. Which I swore I would never do but only did because of the deal that I got. After all that is all it is worth in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store