NEW TO THE CICHLIDS WORLD NEED SOME ADVICES

fr3sco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
long island
hey whats going on everyone im new to the site just wanted to introduce myself. I am from long island i just purchased a 125 gallon fish tank i have it up and running right now with about 25 cichlids. I would like to know how to tell the sex and any other helpful advice that will help me out with my tank and little guys. also interested in buying cichlids with nice colors and any other aquarium misc things that anyone may have for sale pics of the tank will be up as soon as i get a digital camera thank you and hope to hear some advices from u guys

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
welcome...need to see pics or atleast know the type of cichlid to help sex it....are they african cichlids?south american? pics will for sure help.

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Well it really depends on what type of cichlid your try to sex some are very easy others are harder to sex also what cichlids are you keeping and if you have other questions I'm sure I can answer them or someone else can there are a lot of very knowledgable people on here and I'm pretty sure they could answer anything also welcome to MFK!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fr3sco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
long island
i currently have african cichlids and another thing the floor to my tank is tiled but i trew some red gravel over the tile only a little section of the tile is exposed and thats where they hover over now i just up the tank last night put in the filter today a fluval 406 and 2 of my fish have already dropped im freaking out because i dont want to wake up to a fish grave yard i just spent over 125 bucks on fish

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Welcome to the boards. I hope you didn't just throw 25 fish in the tank to start the cycle.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
It sound like you put the carriage in front of the horse if you know what i mean. You should have posted first so many knowledgeable people could have given you some advice. I would have told you to get a FX5 filter. A 406 is not going to help you on a 125 gallon tank.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Let me guess store employees told u to wait only 24 hours before adding fish? .number 1 rule in fish keepeing youve learned the hard way..never listen to fish store employees alone. especially from the triple threat chain stores, petco, petsmart and petsupermarket. do all u own research before doing any. search this forum for a thread about cycling. start there. if i were u take the fish back where u got them to hold them for u if not in an uncycled tank you will most likely keep losing fish.

fr3sco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
long island
yea make it 4 and yes ounce again i did not know anything about a cycle i guess rookie mistake now i feel like **** because all the fish are starting to die and i will go to the pet store and buy the fx tomorrow should i run both at ounce or just the fx.....................

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store