Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    community hemorrhoid KellyFrancis's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somerset WI
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 3:56 PM
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    1

    Spider Webs in a Salt Tank....

    Stopped by an LPS, and noticed they had salt tanks so I decided to check them out to see what I could get and price things out. They had quite an assortment of critters and fish, including a seahorse in a tank with a mangrove shoot and some other salty shrubberies and what appeared to be some white spider-webby stuff. It was odd. Two of the girls there (who were clueless as far as fish go -- I mean, I'm clueless, these two were just wow!) stuck a pen in there to get it out and it just fell apart. I am curious...What was it? It almost looked like it was coming out of a shell in the bottom of the tank. The primary strand, a little thicker than the rest, ran from the sand to the top of the water. There were a couple of off-shoots and some on the LR, thin like...well...spider's silk.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumoNinja View Post
    you can choose to look like a wookie if you want.





  2. #2
    Managuense Comatose's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Last Activity
    01-29-2014 4:30 PM
    Posts
    205
    I've got a couple of these from time to time, and they came from a specific batch of live rock I got, and I recall person who sold it to me explaining what it was, googling it, confirming it was harmless for my purposes and then promptly forgetting. A few quick google searches just now didn't refresh my memory, so I'd recommend poking around google more if you don't get an answer here. I think it was a worm or something...
    I like morays!

    Enchelycore anatina (x2), Enchelycore lichenosa, Enchelycore pardalis, Gymnothorax berndti, Gymnothorax chilospilus, Gymnothorax kidako, Gymnothorax neglectus, Gymnothorax ypsilon

    Wish list: Enchelycore ramosa, E. kamara, E. schismatorynchus, Gymnothorax pikei



  3. #3
    Pacu cichlid_king's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fond du lac, Wisconsin
    Last Activity
    01-31-2014 7:27 AM
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyFrancis View Post
    Stopped by an LPS, and noticed they had salt tanks so I decided to check them out to see what I could get and price things out. They had quite an assortment of critters and fish, including a seahorse in a tank with a mangrove shoot and some other salty shrubberies and what appeared to be some white spider-webby stuff. It was odd. Two of the girls there (who were clueless as far as fish go -- I mean, I'm clueless, these two were just wow!) stuck a pen in there to get it out and it just fell apart. I am curious...What was it? It almost looked like it was coming out of a shell in the bottom of the tank. The primary strand, a little thicker than the rest, ran from the sand to the top of the water. There were a couple of off-shoots and some on the LR, thin like...well...spider's silk.
    \

    It could be Vermited snails. They have tubes that create the web
    40gal Mixed REEF tank w/30gal long DIY sump
    5.5gal SPS reef w/ DIY RapidLED fixture
    5.5gal Co2 injected planted tank



  4. #4
    community hemorrhoid KellyFrancis's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somerset WI
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 3:56 PM
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    1
    I searched "Vermited snails" in google - thanks for the lead...I didn't know what to search for! - and all the pics looked wrong. I hit one from another forum and a guy said a "thread worm" except when I google "thread worm", I get parasites, not marine life. Anyone know another name for a thread worm?

    My main concern was whether or not it was harmful for the tank. I was thinking about going back for the mangrove shoot if it wasn't. Thanks for the help guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by SumoNinja View Post
    you can choose to look like a wookie if you want.



  5. #5
    Peacock Bass Addikted2Cichlids's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Last Activity
    06-26-2014 11:33 AM
    Posts
    629
    Yeah, the only thing I can think of is a vermetid snail. I had one in my tank and I super glued the opening of the shell. Haven't had that problem since. My understanding is that they are harmless for the most part but they can multiply rapidly and can bother some corals with the mucus they expel to trap food that is floating in the water. If your positive it wasn't theses, I have no idea what they have in their tank.



  6. #6
    Bullshark jworth's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Activity
    10-17-2014 8:47 PM
    Posts
    3,290
    must be a vermited snail. Glue that dude in. Harmless, but obnoxious.



  7. #7
    Pacu cichlid_king's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fond du lac, Wisconsin
    Last Activity
    01-31-2014 7:27 AM
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by Addikted2Cichlids View Post
    Yeah, the only thing I can think of is a vermetid snail. I had one in my tank and I super glued the opening of the shell. Haven't had that problem since. My understanding is that they are harmless for the most part but they can multiply rapidly and can bother some corals with the mucus they expel to trap food that is floating in the water. If your positive it wasn't theses, I have no idea what they have in their tank.
    .
    X2
    Yeah really the only thing bad about them is that they are a bother to some corals and they multiply rapidly.

    Sent from my SCH-R880 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
    40gal Mixed REEF tank w/30gal long DIY sump
    5.5gal SPS reef w/ DIY RapidLED fixture
    5.5gal Co2 injected planted tank



  8. #8
    community hemorrhoid KellyFrancis's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somerset WI
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 3:56 PM
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Addikted2Cichlids View Post
    Yeah, the only thing I can think of is a vermetid snail. I had one in my tank and I super glued the opening of the shell. Haven't had that problem since. My understanding is that they are harmless for the most part but they can multiply rapidly and can bother some corals with the mucus they expel to trap food that is floating in the water. If your positive it wasn't theses, I have no idea what they have in their tank.
    I'm really not positive of anything. Everything that the webs extended from in the pics online were different than the one in the tank at the LFS. I trust you guys though and thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by SumoNinja View Post
    you can choose to look like a wookie if you want.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •