The reckoning

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Here is my large tank IMG_1632.JPGIMG_1610.JPGIMG_1613.JPGIMG_1624.JPGIMG_1619.JPG

6 feet fronts, 3 feet tall and 2 feet front to back J Sweet

After searching craigslist and everywhere else for a good amount of time I finally found a large tank that fit what I was looking to spend.

Left at 6am to drive the 350+ miles to pick up the tank, stop off to see some family and then drive back.

Purchase included-
L shaped tank
55-60 gallon sump
2100gph Submersible pump
Fluval FX5
Titanium 1000watt heater and controller
Crazy 175watt UV sterilizer (carbon fiber??) Who knows anything about this thing? Will I even be able to run it? Or should I?
Old odd air pump, need to research it.
Different spare parts and such
Shop light with bulbs
Wood top if I decide to use some part of it or none of it
Lots and Lots of Bio balls J
Water filter setup/ who knows in what condition it is at all
Tub of weld 16
Novus 1 & 3
Other misc. stuff

Tank is going to go into the basement which will be fun to get it there but not too bad so far been able to move it with 4 people but I am thinking 6 or so to get it where it finally will be the awesome tank it is.

Thing to do-
Do I add more weld onto the seams or weld in more acrylic to make sure its strong as possible and no leaks possible.
Clean the tank up Over flows at 3 feet deep should be lots of fun J
Polish all the acrylic- It does have a few scratches, mostly all minor mostly
Install all the fittings into overflows
Build the sump to what I want it to be
Figure out all the pluming and see if I can maybe use the UV
Figure out the air pump if it is worth using at all
Build stand
Decide about the top or building something myself
Plumb a sink into the fish area for easy cleaning
Think about fill and drain system for easy water changes (IDEAS???)

Enjoy the pics

Any and all thoughts would be great, I will take and add any pics people ask me for or take any advice into full consideration. THANKS

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Doors in the house are 36inches so it will just fit into the basement :)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Sexy tank!!! I would love a L shape tank. Makes for such an awesome way to keep fish together that normally wouldn't work. What are the stocking plans (sorry if I missed it)?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Peacock bass, my long time Jack Dempsey, stingrays later down the road. Not sure what else at this point. I will keep the 125 in the dining room for others and planing a 55 Gallon grow out tank and maybe my 30 Gallon if I need it. I just want to get it all setup so Monday full speed on finishing the basement fish room. Its already in progress just starting sheetrock and finishing up everything else before that.

Sent from my Touchpad using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Did the previous owner have the tank resting on that open top stand? It looks like it only supports the perimeter of the aquarium...just curious.

In regards to the seams, I have actually heard that using straight weld-on 3 or 4 on the seams can actually weaken the seam. If you want to make it stronger, you would want to add acrylic rods and weld them into the corners.

That 175W UV is insane. Never seen one that looked like that. Very cool.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
No thats a top, not a stand I dont know if I will use it but it was free with the tank so why not, I will be building my own stand. Ya I have heard that also that you can weaken the welds going over them again, just not sure how true that is. I wonder about adding a thicker weld like 16 if it will do the same or not, I will probably ask a local place for their opinion. I will probably find some acrylic pieces and add them into the tank, even though its never had problems and what not I just want to be sure at this point. Ya the UV is crazy, I looked on the Aqua website and they have all sorts of stuff there similar but not just like this one. I will post some more pics latter, I have to turn down the resolution on my camera because they are to large to load onto the forum.

Did the previous owner have the tank resting on that open top stand? It looks like it only supports the perimeter of the aquarium...just curious.

In regards to the seams, I have actually heard that using straight weld-on 3 or 4 on the seams can actually weaken the seam. If you want to make it stronger, you would want to add acrylic rods and weld them into the corners.

That 175W UV is insane. Never seen one that looked like that. Very cool.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
That tank is not nearly big enough for a boxer! Boxers need at least 1000g to have enough room to happily move! That dog looks like he can barely turn around in there! Animal cruelty! Flame!

Heh. Sorry. Kind of more jealous of your dog than the tank. Boxers are the ****!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store