"Freshwater Lion fish" ID please.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I just grabbed this guy over the weekend he looks supper awesome. On the tank he was labeled venomous, and named "Freshwater Lion fish".

Could you guys please confirm this?

I've named him borborymos, google it. :p

When he swims rapidly to evade a net he makes a loud humming buzzing noise. He is 4 or 5 inches long.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
It's a cool looking Stonefish. They are actually brackish, normally. So he might not stay healthy in pure fresh. He should be a very aggressive eater and will eat anything that swims close to and fits in his rather large mouth.

Oh also, this is a fish that will appreciate substrate and hiding spots. He will definitely dig into sand/dirt if given the opportunity.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
It's a cool looking Stonefish. They are actually brackish, normally. So he might not stay healthy in pure fresh. He should be a very aggressive eater and will eat anything that swims close to and fits in his rather large mouth.

Oh also, this is a fish that will appreciate substrate and hiding spots. He will definitely dig into sand/dirt if given the opportunity.
Great, are they really venomous? Also how are they towards tank mates, do I have a Gulper catfish on my hands here if you get my meaning? I've done brackish fish in fresh fine no issue just 2 requirements, hard water, pristine water.

Edit:

Feeding, any way to get him off live?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
He's not quite on the gulper level (sorry didn't notice this was originally posted in brackish!) but he will definitely grab up things that swim near him if they're small enough.

Tankmates are fine if they're larger than him, or probably OK if they're shoaling.

I fed mine live earthworms via a tube, so I'm not sure about training them. They're pretty picky eaters, from what I understand. This seems like a pretty big one, so you might have an easier time getting him to eat frozen stuff. I think it's pretty unlikely he'll ever eat pellets, though.

Sorry didn't answer your question: they can be pretty venomous. Believe they've got sort of pokey spikes that could probably give you a nasty injury, but won't be deadly. I doubt you have to worry about this affecting other fish unless something tries to eat him.

Also, I'm jealous yours makes noise. I always wished mine would.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I like this guy he's pretty placid but when he decides to do something he's great. I'll assume he's wild caught... I really wish I could feed him some of my home made medicated foods, I know I can swing salinity to shake most all external parasites but this won't touch any intestinal parasites.

I can't believe their excrement, mine was fed a goldfish shortly before I bought it, then next day looked like a bunch of orange jelly beans in the tank :confused: I couldn't figure it out, took a while to realize it was old goldfish.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Yep it is I have one also. Does anyone ever see these eat?? Just got one and an looking for tips. I heard they are most active at night. Guy I got it from said he had never seen it eat. Maybe I'll try some live guppies I have around.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dpete88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
in the drivers seat
My brother kept one a while ago and it kept digging itself burrows and would only feed at night. Look up some bids on YouTube from some fishermen catching some big ones. This fish is crazy nasty

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Right now mine is one of the smallest fish I have, living in my sump with some other babies I have. GROW FISH GROW LOL

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Right now mine is one of the smallest fish I have, living in my sump with some other babies I have. GROW FISH GROW LOL
Mine was apparently well fed prior to my acquisition. He keeps polluting his tank :p You'd think a fish twice his size was in the tank. I woke up and looked in on him this morning, he's produced a few more jelly beans last night. I just cleaned his tank last night!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store