Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-15-2013 12:13 AM
    What is a sunfish?

I have found that there is often a bit of confusion as to what a sunfish is exactly. Some people regard them as “pan fish” and thus think they are related to other pan fish such as perch and white bass. Panfish is a term used by fishermen to describe fish that fit in pans and is not a scientific means of classification. Then there are some sunfish that people don’t know are sunfish such as the black bass genus that includes largemouth, smallmouth, spotted and all the other black basses. The most well known sunfish are the members of the lepomis genus. The common and popular pumpkinseed and bluegill are both sunfish that belong to the lepomis genus. Despite being very similar to cichlids they are not related beyond being in the same order. All sunfish are native to North America (though are introduced elsewhere) and are all freshwater. Most build nests and males guard the young.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Redtailed Catfish scalesandfins's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Last Activity
    09-03-2013 6:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin2005 View Post
    What is a sunfish?

I have found that there is often a bit of confusion as to what a sunfish is exactly. Some people regard them as “pan fish” and thus think they are related to other pan fish such as perch and white bass. Panfish is a term used by fishermen to describe fish that fit in pans and is not a scientific means of classification. Then there are some sunfish that people don’t know are sunfish such as the black bass genus that includes largemouth, smallmouth, spotted and all the other black basses. The most well known sunfish are the members of the lepomis genus. The common and popular pumpkinseed and bluegill are both sunfish that belong to the lepomis genus. Despite being very similar to cichlids they are not related beyond being in the same order. All sunfish are native to North America (though are introduced elsewhere) and are all freshwater. Most build nests and males guard the young.

uh so are they cichlids?
    we totally highjacked this thread btw
    sorry.
    ‎"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    H.S.T.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    09-27-2013 11:08 AM
    Its fine but yea bass are in another family then cichlids Iv been doin little reasearching

Redtailed Catfish scalesandfins's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Last Activity
    09-03-2013 6:53 PM
    we shall call them american cichlids lol
    they act very much like cichlids and should for sure hold its own in time
    ‎"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    H.S.T.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-15-2013 12:13 AM
    Hey jloco do you want to go bass fishing today

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    09-27-2013 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin2005 View Post
    Hey jloco do you want to go bass fishing today

Yea we can go to the lil fishin hole, needa get some bait first... Or we can just use my goldfish

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123