Large mouth bass

Jloco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2011
Hammond, louisiana
Back with more questions! I've a 55g planted tank with a 8" full grown green terror, a convict 4" and a jag 4" I had 2 large mouth bass a 6" and a 7" the green terror tore the larger bass pretty bad so I released him to my pond.. The smaller bass still kickin both wild caught, anyone have expirence with keeping bass with cichlids

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
In my experience, Bass can be pretty aggressive. But compared to cichlids.....a 55 is pretty tight for the bass to avoid the aggression. I have had a 2" cichlid that my buddy didnt want because his jag was trying to murder it. I put it in my established native set-up with smallmouth, largemouth and pickerel. My dominant largemouth(8") finally ate it but not until after the cichlid murdered my ~12" pickerel and a few smaller bass. IMO I dont think bass cope very well with repeated harrassment, and if something shows them aggression and doesnt back down(like a bold cichlid) the bass will back down and be submissive

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
id say go with the biggest tank you can get for the lmb, they can get pretty big, not sure how big in aquariums though. as long as everyone has their own territory to claim that might cut down on the aggression issue.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
i dont think they will get over 18inches is a tank. once that bass gets some new territory he will flip the script on those cichlids tho. what are you feeding it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store