Payara Thread

Barracuda37

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2011
California Love
Hey MFKers,

I've been interested in some payaras. But I would like some more info on these amazing monsters. I've done research believe me, but I want to learn some more info from those of you who keep them or have kept them. Please if you want post pics of yours cause this is a Payara THREAD but i want some info too! Thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'll keep this short.The three main payara species that are availible in the hobby are the Hydrolicus scomberiodes,H.tatauia,and the H.armatus.I have kept the three of them at different times and currently have an armatus that I've grown from a few inches to over twelve inches in length currently.I have had it for a little over two years and it eats raw shrimp,fish fillet and feeders....Take a look over in the other characins section as that is where you will find quite a few different payara threads as well as care info at the top of the page there.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I'll keep this short.The three main payara species that are availible in the hobby are the Hydrolicus scomberiodes,H.tatauia,and the H.armatus.I have kept the three of them at different times and currently have an armatus that I've grown from a few inches to over twelve inches in length currently.I have had it for a little over two years and it eats raw shrimp,fish fillet and feeders....Take a look over in the other characins section as that is where you will find quite a few different payara threads as well as care info at the top of the page there.
Hahaha, class dismissed. :D

Barracuda37

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2011
California Love
Thanks and are they hardy and good with other tank mates?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Fairly, but some of them are known to just up and drop dead once they reach a certain size.The armatus seems to be the most hardy in my experience but when they are small they can be delicate and prone to ich.When they get some size to them some can be mean.

Barracuda37

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2011
California Love
Ok thanks so much for the help cause ive been debating if they are worth the money or not. And if i get them small like 3" i dont want my hujeta to hurt them or them hurt him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store