PART DEUX!!! - Epic Overhaul (3D Backgrounds/300g, 250g, 120g tanks)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
We are moving to a new place so I bought a new 250 gallon 6'x3' tank and while we I am setting up this new tank, I will be overhauling my 300 gallon and 120 gallon too. So that means a part deux to my old 2010 overhaul thread :thumbsup: aclockworkorange and I decided to make a trip down to www.designsbynature.net and meet up with the owner and buy some new backgrounds for our tanks.

Below are the two backgrounds I decided on for the 250 gallon and 300 gallon (the 120 gallon background is too awesome to change).

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

The agenda for this thread:
All tanks: Drip system
120 gallon: redo the plumbing, lighting, new sump
250 gallon: install background, buff tank, drill tank, build stand, plumb sump, lighting, the works
300 gallon: rip out the current background, install a new one, plumbing, sump, all that
All the wonderful ADD train wreck that are my threads...
:ROFL:

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Just so you all know what I mean by "overhaul" a tank of mine, this is before and after shots of my 120 gallon ;)

120-Before.JPG

120-After.JPG

(NEXT UP IS BUFFING THE TANK)

120-Before.JPG

120-After.JPG

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Those tanks are gonna look great!!

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I'm curious if that is the way you are going to install the Mangrove background or if it is upside-down in the photo? I pictured it being flipped over, but it is actually cool either way.

By the way, it looks like you have some really nice workspace in the new house! :headbang2

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have to admit, even thought they aren't cheap those backgrounds do look impressive... almost makes me to want to overhaul my 200G...

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Those tanks are gonna look great!!
Thanks for the support and comment Marcus!

no sleep for the wicked....my bet water in all 3 with fish by end of the month.
I'll back you up on that bet!!!

I'm curious if that is the way you are going to install the Mangrove background or if it is upside-down in the photo? I pictured it being flipped over, but it is actually cool either way.

By the way, it looks like you have some really nice workspace in the new house! :headbang2
That is how I plan to install the Mangrove on the 300 gallon. I have the same background in the tank currently but it's the old 30" tall version (this is the new 36" tall) and when I used pond foam to make up the extra space, it FAILED HARD. Pond foam does not stick to acrylic very well. It works great for thin and small/medium backgrounds but these large deluxe model backgrounds are very buoyant and pull the pond foam away from the surface. Since the new model is 36" tall, it will be cut to fit.

This is my chance to fix the tank how I want it. And I have a few new tricks up my sleeve for the 300 gallon too ;) we'll get to that tank later though.

Now the newest background I am undecided on how to install. What do you think the first or second pic? I prefer the first pic. I like the thick part at the top and how it will provide a shadow effect and fit with the massive rocks I have for the tank.

View attachment 758387

DSC_0020.JPG

I have to admit, even thought they aren't cheap those backgrounds do look impressive... almost makes me to want to overhaul my 200G...
Do it! You will never regret treating a tank like a piece of art. I take my setups seriously, a background is like a filter or heater to me, a required piece of equipment. Once you have a tank with one, no tank looks the same to you after.

DSC_0020.JPG

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Hard call. I think I would have installed it like you have it in the second photo, but either way definitely works.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
This was the tank as I bought it. I bought it used from a fellow MFKer Sonny503 (thanks again for the awesome footprint bro!!!)

You could barely see through it when I first got it. I paid a saltwater guru named Mike (clockwork, send me his username and I'll edit this to give him credit) to buff the tank for me. The after shot is proof in the pudding you can turn a super cloudy tank around. He did everything by hand. The back panel was not buffed since it will be covered by a background so that's the majority of the haze you still see.

DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG

This is the finished product. It still looks a little cloudy in this pic but believe me it's 50 times better. Once it's wet my bet is this will not be noticeable. Time will tell but I am happy with his work. The rocks are modular rocks I also picked up from DBN and well worth the money.

Adding all these huge stones to the tank (that weights like 2 pounds since they are modular) probably made my new neighbors think I'm really buff... :ROFL:

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store