Paratilapia polleni 'small spot' pair guarding eggs

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Well the pair that looked like they were getting ready to spawn a few days ago did just that. I missed the actual egg-laying but I think that they 'did the deed' just a couple of hours ago. It's the first time I've been able to video a 'polleni' pair guarding their eggs. Usually they are very secretively placed but this time they are out in the open on a piece of driftwood. Interesting that they are more like a 'gelatinous' mass. And they're whitish and pretty tiny - just as the newly hatched fry are quite small compared to other Madagascans' fry.

[video=youtube;ACf0hMlAUJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACf0hMlAUJ0&feature=channel[/video]

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Good luck! I've had young polleni that spawned, but it was not for me. Lots of aggression.

JoshR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix
Polleni.jpg This is a pic of my male. I have 2 females I so hope that they breed. Great job.

Polleni.jpg

JoshR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix
Great vid by the way.:headbang2 How long have you had a polleni tank?? What do you do to help with the fighting?

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I use to breed the large spot ones(Bleekeri). Once they breed, they will do it all the time. I use to take the eggs out. Good Luck.
Thanks. This pair has really settled down. They have spawned twice to my knowledge, and look like they would do it again if it weren't for the presence of about 20 young from the second spawn that they are still fiercely guarding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store