WHITE POPTS producing in tank glass... what is it????

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
It look like some sort of bacteria/alage white spots and if u look closer it seems like its moving or hanging off from the glass... i try scraping it off with alage spounge but keeps coming back a few day later. I read that its caused by overfeeding, too much lighting(which i dought because i dont have enough, its a standard 180gal w/ 47" lighting) can anyone tell me what it is? treatment? what should i do???

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I have the same. My understanding is its the result from aloe vera medications like stress coat etc..

Hopefully someone knows more

#1 S. Vettel

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
i dont have any plants just some glass pebbles and my large buddha head... im thinking that it can also be the lack of filtration since its going on 700gph and it should be going at least 1080gph if not more.

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
but i dont add anything into my tank... some people are telling me to buy ich med. but i dout its ich because it would already be on my fish and looking closly theres nothing on them. imma deepclean the entire tank and do a 50% water change that might help...

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I had what you are describing before. From what I understood when I researched it, it is an over proliferation of bacteria actually causing visible waving colonies on the glass and other objects. Finding a way to decrease your nitrates will help. More bio media will help too, encouraging the bacteria to grow their Instead of in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
So you are probablly right, you need more filtration. I like my tanks at 8-10 times the volume of water per hour

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
yes im going to buy an fx5 in a few weeks that should dep. help but for now im just sraping em off ND DOING LARGER FREQUENT WATER CHANGES. I was going to the lfs n c if they have some med but i really dont want to add any sort of chemicals to my water i feel like its fine the way it is just gotta get more FILTRATION...

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
So you are probablly right, you need more filtration. I like my tanks at 8-10 times the volume of water per hour

I have a 90 gal w/ a ac110 xp4 and 9watt uvc sterilyzer(220gph). So im running close to 1000gph, thats almost 11x turnover and i keep my filters clean and regular gravel vac and 60% per week water changes. It does seem to be moving, i also have 3 full chambers of ceramic in my xp4.

If its BB ill leave it

#1 S. Vettel

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
As I understand it, yes it is. Beneficial bacteria growing outside the filters. I'd leave it everywhere but the front glass

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
My waters crystal clear it just the spots make it look crappy I think I might be overfeeding also... If I leave massivore pellets in the tank over night it does make quite a mess.. So for now On I'm just gonna leave em in there for an hour n just vacuum it out after (I have no gravel n it's wayy easier to clean) I just bout a upside down hi fin catfish so that will also help with the leftovers over night...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store