UV Filter Overheating Tank

superemone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2010
USA
Anybody with this problem? My 150 gallon tank is at a steady 82 degrees with a Coralife 36w Turbo Twist, no heater. Way too hot to my liking. Is it the bulb or the sterilizer itself that's causing this?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Heat can come from different sources - room temperature, filter or pump motor, lighting, uv bulb, etc. To find out if your uv sterilizer is causing the increase in tank temperature, turn it off for a day and see if the temp drops.

kodzzz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2010
sg
The UV shouldnt be producing that much heat. IF so pls stop using and check if there is any water leaking into the bulb area.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
No way a 36w UV could heat and maintain 82F in a 150g...no way.
Its either a pump working to hard and heating up or the ambient temp in the room is close to the temp in the tank or its sitting in a window that gets sun all day. You didnt mention what your setup is but I could maybe see a submersible return pump getting warm and heating the water. I once had a Rio power head roast itself in the tank. It had clogged, up in the intake and was working to hard. I could hardly touch it when I removed it from the tank it was so hot....it actually melted to where I couldnt get the impeller out for a spare.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Has it always been that high? If its a recent jump its prlly cuz its spring. My temp went up a few degress and i run a uv 24/7.

If theres water leaking in the quartz sleeve itd burn out

#1 S. Vettel

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
whats with all these trollish newbish threads on mfk recently?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
No way a 36w UV could heat and maintain 82F in a 150g...no way.
Its either a pump working to hard and heating up or the ambient temp in the room is close to the temp in the tank or its sitting in a window that gets sun all day. You didnt mention what your setup is but I could maybe see a submersible return pump getting warm and heating the water. I once had a Rio power head roast itself in the tank. It had clogged, up in the intake and was working to hard. I could hardly touch it when I removed it from the tank it was so hot....it actually melted to where I couldnt get the impeller out for a spare.
Every 12-14 watts in a uv heats the water apprx 1°… SO assuming the ambiet temp of his room is 79° then its vary possible.

#1 S. Vettel

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I don't think it's the UV causing it. Check all your equipments. They has to be something causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store