• Erythrinus sp. Madre de Dios

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
hey peeps after selling off my stock im starting from scratch again. i have a 6x2x2 currently with a 5" orino pbass and a 6.5" kelberi pbass. i plan on adding another two p bass in future and possibly a wild oscar if i can source one.

so with that stock id like to keep with the SA theme and add a wolf if possible?

i can get common, red, and gold wolves all around 10cm in size. can also get Erythrinus sp. Madre de Dios which dont seem to come around too often and i actually quite like the colours of them.

what do you guys think? will a wolf work? ive seen lots of comms with wolves but they all seem to be heavily stocked which probably helps keep them in check. a wolf would have probably worked with my last heavily stocked tank but this time round i dont want so many fish.

decor is minimal with a driftwood section in the middle of the tank covered in java fern with plenty of space to hide in/around.

any help appreciated!

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
All those species apart from the mala which there is a slight risk will be ok with other fish of a suitable size. The cichlid may get big enough to eat some of them though. Do you live in the southeast? I know a shop selling all those species. I would go with a group of golds Hoplerythrinus. They will get big enough not become a snack. I have some pics of my golds in the media thread somewhere.

Sp. Madre de Dios is whats normally called sp. Peru. Also in your poll the Hoplias unitaeniatus is Hoplerythrinus not Hoplias.

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
cheers jelly- was waiting for you to come along lol

i love the colours of the golds but would how would a single specimen work? or would i be safer with a group of 3?

just how much more of a risk would i be taking with a mala? could i add one that is smaller than my smallest p bass? would that work?

yeah im near portsmouth mate but dont mind a drive - the wolves i was looking at were from wildwoods and i do prefer to hand pick my fish myself.

cheers damo

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
In all honesty the Mala would probably be ok. In your scenario I would give it a go. There is a risk though and you might find the pbass outgrows it and potentially eats it. Depends on size.

The golds will work singulaly as that is how a majority are kept. I have a group of three, as a group they are awesume. They are not typical of wolffish and are open water fish.

Wildwoods is the shop I go to also.

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
You've seen my community so know what's what, although, I have the three Gold's together now which is... interesting. With anything like Wolves, cichlids, rays etc, it's always dependant on personality. My golds have 3 very different personalities as does the bass and the black wolf. I've had a murderous Malabaricus before but I've also seen them very mellow and easy going so I guess the best advice is...give it a go but have a plan if it doesn't work. And, if you don't want to risk anything, maybe a (hoplias) wolf isn't a good idea. Ery would be OK, although the Bass will outgrow them. Hoplerythrinus have the size but also the more docile nature...generally. No guarantee on being totally chilled, though.

good luck.

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
what sort of damage can a mala do? i have seen the teeth but i also remember watching a youtube vid a couple of years back entitled "wolf vs Dovii" and for 3 minutes the two fish go at it hard lip locking and trying to establish dominance. cant find the vid now think its taken down now but i dont remember any real damage to the dovii mouth just a few missed scales. on its flanks. the dovii was a fair bit bigger than the mala though...

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I think i saw the same video.

My friend had a 5" one and a 12" gar - well he introduced the gar into the mala's tank and the mala just hit the gar within 60 seconds.

To be honest my experience has always lead me to believe that the mala was a singular fish until seeing otherwise on here, like all fish though it depends on the individual specimen.

How is your search for one in general?

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
can get all the above named sp delivered from wildwoods- havent got out to check any lfs round this way though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store