Live Plants + Bigger Fish = Shredded Plants. Tips?

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
I was just wondering if anyone know any good tricks for keeping plants from being uprooted and shredded by larger fish. I do not want to do artificial but it might be my only choice unless there are tricks I don't know. Ideas?

PrymeTyme-716

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2010
put the plants in clay pots with ferts and then rocks or sand on top.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
+1 for artificial, I have afew in with my rck (17"+) and thats the only thing he cant destroy, and they look as close to real as you can get. When visitors to myhouse look at the tanks I always get "what kind of plant is that", I always tell them I dont know but its fake. Most people think there real at first glance. You will spend a little more money buying the nicer looking artificial, but its worth it in my opinion.

greenbud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Belfast maine
www.mudmower.com
Pothos vine will grow in the water as long as lighting is good. It will make a fish sick after the first time they eat it and puke but after that they seem to leave it alone. I use it in 3 out of 5 tanks and it works great.

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into that pothos vine and perhaps try the pot idea. I just really like to do the real plant thing. Don't ask me why. I guess it is because I like the idea of making my tanks close to the natural habitat as one can. (I know.......it'll never quite be the same as the amazon basin. Ha ha!)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy, what species fish, and have you tried Anubias?

HarleyK

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
An old school trick for maintaining plants along with plant-wreckers is to use a lengthwise-split tank. Plants in the back third, fish up front with rockwork. The glass divider can even have a weir overflow to turn the plant section into a refugium as part of the overall system filtration.

JamesF

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Thunder Bay
An old school trick for maintaining plants along with plant-wreckers is to use a lengthwise-split tank. Plants in the back third, fish up front with rockwork. The glass divider can even have a weir overflow to turn the plant section into a refugium as part of the overall system filtration.
I've seen the same setup used to keep piranha with other South Americans. Looked pretty cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store