Ctemopoma ID Help? (elongated specie)

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Hello all,

Got this guy from a potpourri tank (mixed trade ins). It caught my eyes cuz due to its elongated body. This fish swam like a Channa/Jardini/bichir and always on the move. Never seen anything like it before. Based on a little net searching, It resembles a Kingsleyae specie, but with out the big spot near tail. This 5" fish has dorsal fins that run all along the back and a little spotting on body. It's a little washed out from stress.

Can anybody ID this? Here is a web site for reference.

http://guia.acuamundo.com.mx/articu...ual es cual/peces laberinto cual es cual.html

Ctnen 2 fullbody.jpg

Ctnen 1.jpg

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
The lack of tail spot is confusing, but you might have a C. petherici, or like you said, a C. kingsleyae. Every other Ctenopoma species I've ever seen has a much more elongated face.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Don't remember the latin name but I'm almost certain that that is the spotted climbing perch.I had one a few years ago.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Not sure but it was 5 dollars cuz the lfs had no clue other than an guesses of a ctenopoma or anabatoid type gourami. It was so darn unique had to just get even though I'm happy with my fish collection already, lol

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Don't remember the latin name but I'm almost certain that that is the spotted climbing perch.I had one a few years ago.
Fish by that common name are typically the species Ctenopoma acutirostre. They're much more laterally compressed than this guy is, and they have spots...

Also, what a nice find. Ctenopoma species are really hard to come by in my area, in fact I finally just got a C. acutirostre tonight after searching for months.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
It's a profile of the Kingsleye, so it is something close to that. Any great guesses or past experiences shared would be greatly appreciated for ID. I'll take a video of the bugger swimming in a few hours or tomorrow once it gets acclimated and full spots are showing. If you look at the spotting on the body is very organized pattern. You would think that it would be a dead giveaway, nonetheless, thanks for the feedback.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Fish by that common name are typically the species Ctenopoma acutirostre. They're much more laterally compressed than this guy is, and they have spots...

Also, what a nice find. Ctenopoma species are really hard to come by in my area, in fact I finally just got a C. acutirostre tonight after searching for months.
I stand corrected,I have had this one as well as C. acutirostre which are also sold as leopard ctenopoma in some stores here.....I pulled out one of my old books and came up with the name Anabas testudineus.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I stand corrected,I have had this one as well as C. acutirostre which are also sold as leopard ctenopoma in some stores here.....I pulled out one of my old books and came up with the name Anabas testudineus.

Thanks Krichardson ! This may be it! Even the oranges halo around the pupil is down to the tee. Very very close as I had a gut feeling this species was african, and more SE. The pic references made me think Ctenopoma. So, glad too as it will cater to my SE Asia them on my 155 gal. , various dat species, clown loaches, Albino red eye Gian Gouramy, and a few more. Here is some info I copy and pasted:

Title:
Climbing Perch, (Anabas testudineus), [Anabantidae], Anabantoidei, Perciformes, gouramies
This labyrinth fish can crawl up to 200 meters across moist land using its pectoral fins and gill covers to escape deteriorating water conditions. An air breathing organ near the gills enables it to stay alive for hours out of the water. This fish is native to Southeast Asia.

Kingdom: Animalia

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Here is the photo of the Anabas testudineus.

@ Krichardson _ did you ever have this specie? Temperament, experiences, etc....?

Krichardson ID.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store