an amazing but unexpected thing happened

TheCichlidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Romania
last summer i gave my friend who has a big koi pond my jaguar cichlid which is a cichlid that lives in warm water climates in wild...the summer raises up the water temps to be supported by some warm water fish in my zone.....after a freezing winter with the lake iced 2-3 inches at top of water he said me that he has seen the jag comming up and eating ...i don't think it would joke or something and also is the only spotted fish in the lake and the smallest so no confuse ...by the way do you think is possible one like this ?

mainstreet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2012
Indy
I've never read about Jags being able to survive in a frozen environment from all my reading on the subject, let us know bc I can't tell from your post if you are confirming it is still alive or asking?

mainstreet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2012
Indy
Also I've seen some rec. water temps listed as low as 57-82 degrees, but I have no idea how cold water at the bottom of a frozen lake gets either.. just a thought but maybe it retains some warmth under the ice layer?? idk..

Stratoquarius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Calgary
Yeah with koi ponds in the winter they al crowd to the bottom for warmth, it is possible that it was just warm enough at the bottom of the lake for the jaguar to survive.

Chubbers

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
St. Lawrence Seaway
Of course it's possible, why do you think some species are banned, even tho people say they won't survive and think the bans are unreasonable.

An why would you give him the jag thinking it was a death sentence. I'm sure there are more responsible ways to relocate/rehome.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stratoquarius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Calgary
Chubbers Romania is a naturally hot country, incase you weren't aware (as many americans arent) Europe had a big freeze this winter that killed many people in eastern europe and cause lots and lots of damage. The river Donau was frozen over entirely and had to get Icebreaker ships from the arctic in to clear it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Of course it's possible, why do you think some species are banned, even tho people say they won't survive and think the bans are unreasonable.

An why would you give him the jag thinking it was a death sentence. I'm sure there are more responsible ways to relocate/rehome.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; Yes, the fact that a species is found in a normally warm climate does not always mean that it does not have the capacity to survive in a much colder climate. I live in northern Tennessee in the USA within five miles of the Kentucky border. About 60 to 80 miles south of my location, fire ants have become firmly established. Be prepared to get comments, the folks that do not want bans on species are very touchy about the subject.

TheCichlidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Romania
no i am not asking..the fish is alive but is somehow amazing to know that is still alive and it's happy in a very big pond..i didn't tried to kill him/her but it was the only option to rehome the fish and i gave it to him in summer as temp decrease slowly and the fish can adapt and voila the fish is fine ...amazing that means some cichlids can do it in cold water and keep fine..yes i have heard about that freeze on europe as i said i live in Romania and we had a very ''winter'' as word means and as i know the lake kept warmer on bottom and the fish were making it even more hot...i am glad to know is still alive and thinking that i could make a pond too and keep some cichlids without heating but now i am living my dream as i got an rtc and i am making a pond for him/her i will heat the pond as i don't need experiments on this fish but you never know what future reserves...and what are you talking about ? what bans it's an only fish in a backyard koi pond i don't see the matter , also i didn't even see it with my eyes my friend said me that he has seen it eating

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello: Here in the USA many new laws are being proposed to ban the import of non native (exotic) species of fish, reptiles, plants and such. Some non native species have been released into the environment and have been causing serious problems where they have been able to reproduce and impact the native wildlife.
People that do not want species banned for import often cite that species from warm climates cannot survive in colder climates. Your experience seems to question this assumption. However the fact that an adult can survive the winter in a pond that freezes over does not always indicate that species can raise offspring under those conditions. Survival of an adult is a good indicator that this may be possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store