Finally, sand and plants

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Finally after 15 years of using gravel, I took the sand plunge. Not sure why it took so long. While I was unable to find the black I was looking for (no spectra quartz, 3M or even coal
slag around here) I settled on good old PFS. Love the size, if not the color. It gravel vacs quite nice and I do think the fish seem more comfortable on it.
Thanks to JamesF for the plant inspiration.

sand 1.jpg

sand 3.jpg

sand best.jpg

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Final shots, just need time to grow out the jungle, maybe a few vals and crypts to add

sand 2.jpg

sand 4.jpg

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Very beautiful! It's a big change from your dark jungle looking setup from before, but I like the way the bigger bichirs can be spotted a bit easier now.

Please post update pics when they all settle in and start changing their contrast a bit. Especially on your congicus and ornate.

I made the change recently too and the peace of mind is a big plus.

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Beautiful!
Thanks Hao, the thing I didn't do when I changed out the gravel was to remove the fish and get the old Soda Can shot. I did drop a tape measure in to get some lengths of the big guys, Ornate is 22.5", the Weeksii is just about 22" inches and the Congicus is right behind at 21.5".

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Very beautiful! It's a big change from your dark jungle looking setup from before, but I like the way the bigger bichirs can be spotted a bit easier now.

Please post update pics when they all settle in and start changing their contrast a bit. Especially on your congicus and ornate.

I made the change recently too and the peace of mind is a big plus.
Thanks Serg, they have been on the sand since Feb 10th. I really noticed the Congicus and my big lap really lighten up. I fear I am losing contrast vs the dark gravel, but for now I am happy with the switch. Just having issues now with the Bullhead ripping up the swords.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks Hao, the thing I didn't do when I changed out the gravel was to remove the fish and get the old Soda Can shot. I did drop a tape measure in to get some lengths of the big guys, Ornate is 22.5", the Weeksii is just about 22" inches and the Congicus is right behind at 21.5".
Very nice! :D Too bad, my Ornate stopped growing. :( I hope my Weeksii will hit that size!

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks Serg, they have been on the sand since Feb 10th. I really noticed the Congicus and my big lap really lighten up. I fear I am losing contrast vs the dark gravel, but for now I am happy with the switch. Just having issues now with the Bullhead ripping up the swords.
If they end up turning pale and you're not happy with the contrast, look into garnet sand. I've never seen better contrast on my bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store