New rod opinions

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I panicked and assumed my trusty 20 year old Daiwa was giving out on me so I ordered a Shimano symetre 2500fj this morning. Figuring the Daiwa was a lost cause I lubed/cleaned it with rem-oil and headed out to the neighborhood lake and it turns out she just needs a good cleaning. I ordered not sauce grease and oil for the Shimano so once that comes in I'll give the Daiwa a proper cleaning and keeping it on its current pole which means I need a pole for the symetre. The primary purpose will be large mouths. Don't want to spend too much but also don't want to cheap out and short change the reel. Any thoughts or suggestions?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Trying to stay under $100 be can be persuaded within reason.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
A good ol ugly stick will work and is cheap. YOu can throw em around and not worry too much about em. YOu can find em at walmart pretty cheap.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Going to cabelas since its one my way home. St Croix premier and Fenwick HMG are what I'm leaning towards but will look at the eagle claw and ugly stik as well.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
ugly stiks are great for a cheap fix but if you want production and are willing to spend a bit more you can get some good quality. what do you fish mostly? lighter stuff? plastics? cranks? topwater? this will help us give you the best recommendation possible for your money. if you want a rod that has done well for me and is cheap ($50) the tourney special from bass pro shops is a surprisingly nice rod. i use a medium action with my revo for crankbaits and topwaters

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Mostly use spinners and topwater rapalas, if the lake/ is deeper will use a diving rapala in warmer months. Just starting to get serious again after 15 years and need to relearn terminology, sorry I can't be more specific.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
i love falcon rods. usually academy has good alstar rods for a decent price.
the new abu garcia rods are nice too.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
Going to cabelas since its one my way home. St Croix premier and Fenwick HMG are what I'm leaning towards but will look at the eagle claw and ugly stik as well.
how can you be looking at stcroix and fenwick and have an ugly stick rod even in your sights????
those are 2 different worlds of rods!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store