help me make my tank pop

jopheso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2012
south louisiana
First let me say Hi to MFK. This is only my second real post :)

I have a 75G FW setup. play sand substrate white(sorta) live rock blue gradient background. To make the wife happy I will really need to get this tanking popping. I was thinking that an LED might go a long way. I dont have any plants and I wasnt planning on having any as I think the oscars will tear them up. I really like the look of the raised light hoods maybe a few inches about the glass lid. I would actually love to get rid of the glass lids all together if that is possible. Are there any 48" LEDs in a raised hood? I have googled of course but havent found them. I was also going to scatter some smooth river rock on top of the sand substrate.

Basically the wife wants me to go salt water on the tank because she says everything is so much prettier, but I have the oscars already and I like them :) so I was hoping the gurus on this site could help me to change her mind about the FW tank.

Thanks MFK

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
add plants and driftwood and a sunken ship. jk on the ship.

jopheso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2012
south louisiana
I hope that image is big enough to see. I have removed the HOB filters and replaced them with Aquatop CF500 UV. I also added a dark blue gradient background and the sunfish are gone. Other than that, this is basically how it looks :)

tank1.jpg

2012-03-18_18-31-21_200.jpg

tank1.jpg

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
I'm saying paint the background black, get some different plants and some sweet driftwood (as mentioned above.)

Tworottz72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Milford, ohio
Stay away from fake decorations. Collect some nice rock and some driftwood. And sometimes, less is more. And with your Oscars(did he say more than one in a 75g???) you dont want to clutter the tank up.

jopheso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2012
south louisiana
ok piece of driftwood might be nice and I can always pull out one of the rocks so its not cluttered. What do yall think about LED lighting? Would it make a big difference. I currently have a 4 bulb 110W fluorescent. It does a decent job lighting the tank, but to me it looks washed out like everything does under fluorescents.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Some nice pieces of driftwood will make any tank look better. check out manzman in the vendor section. replace those rocks with river rock like you mentioned will help too.

Just look through pics and find what you like. There's lots of options.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
ok piece of driftwood might be nice and I can always pull out one of the rocks so its not cluttered. What do yall think about LED lighting? Would it make a big difference. I currently have a 4 bulb 110W fluorescent. It does a decent job lighting the tank, but to me it looks washed out like everything does under fluorescents.
I love LEDs and it will cut down quite a bit on your electric bill... a bit expensive to buy but no bulb replacement and saved electricity will even it out.

jopheso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2012
south louisiana
Ya I think the LEds are a definite for me. Do you know of any that are in a raised hood? I have seen T5s in a hood that sits on an arm and they appear to be 3-4" about the tank due to the arm height. I would love an LED set with a similar style. Any ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store