New Boa in the house, what should I know?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
So my 22 year old son just showed up with a 30" red tail boa. He took from a friend that was unable to take with him to his new Apt. My son knows very little about snakes and I probably know even less. What's some pointers, or signs I should watch for. I would like to make sure the snake is being well cared for during it's stay with us, as yet to be detremened how long that will be.

Thanks all,

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Man, I'd like to help but I know pretty much Jack about snakes. Did it come with it's tank or is it in a box or something? I'd say a constant temperature in the mid to upper 70's is important right now.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Yeah is got a complete housing, 50g breeder tank, heat lamp, etc. I think his friend has covered the basics. I am getting a crash coarse myself researching what I can, but any help would be appreciated.

NickoP28

Banned
Mar 18, 2012
United States
The main thing you need to worry about is proper heating. You need to get a heating pad (stay away from heat rocks) this should keep your boa warm at night when the lamps are off at night. Keep your heat lamps and heating pad to one side of the enclosure so if the boa gets too warm he can move to the cooler side of the tank and so forth, provide hiding spots on both sides and keep a water dish big enough for the boa to completley submerge on the cool side of the tank. Humidity is also an important factor, you want to keep it pretty humid which is why i avoid screen tops. Also make surr to use pre killed or stunned foods, live rodents can do some serious damage to your pet. Just speaking from my own experience!

NickoP28

Banned
Mar 18, 2012
United States
Man, I'd like to help but I know pretty much Jack about snakes. Did it come with it's tank or is it in a box or something? I'd say a constant temperature in the mid to upper 70's is important right now.
Your correct about the temp but thats on the cool side and at night only. You want to provide a basking spot in the high 90s during the day, just make sure he dosent get burned. Ssnakess.com and kingsnake forums are also a great resource ;)

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RMorrow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2010
Missouri
Just for clarity, make sure the heating pad is on the outside of the enclosure. Boas and pythons have been known to try and eat a nice heating pads or blankets left inside the their enclosures. If the animal survives the vet bill can be costly.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Thanks all, Ryan I'll be sending you a PM.

Brewster320

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Mass, USA
I wish you luck. Basically though if you can keep the heating and humidity under control most snakes are the easiest pets you could ever keep. Feed frozen/thawed rats or mice once a week or two, change the water, and that's it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store