120RR finally in the basement

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
After much negotiations with my husband we finally decided on and bought a tank, now for the set up process! We ended up w/ a 120RR aqueon ... Holy cow are those things heavy! I've maintained quite a few RR setups but have never actually assembled one, this should be an adventure. I plan on utilizing a 40b for a sump, but I'm not sure what I'll need for a pump or hardware. I looked at the kits but wasn't satisfied with the way they are built. The tank has 2 overflows with a 1.5" & 3/4". Iir hole in each. I want to utilize all the holes.

1. Should I use 1 pump and split the return or 2 separate? I'm leaning towards 2, incase 1 pump goes on me. And eventually once our stock outgrow the tank my husband gets it for SW... So I can run a skimmer or uv off one? Or is splitting 1 the better route?

2. I plan on doing a very basic wet/dry bio/ mech set up. What's your stands on bio balls/scrubbies/biomedias? ATM I'm in love with my bio wheels, even looked into the tide pool sumps.

Thanks for any imput or suggestions! Pics of set ups would also be welcome!

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Drilled on the bottom? Sounds like a herbie config.

That tank was probably setup like this:

You will need to buy a return pump (I recommend a Danner Mag 9.5 or 12 for that tank and your 1.5" drain), and run that into a 3/4" pvc pipe config going back to the tank somewhere. Most people attach it to a spray bar or something . The return pump will take the water from the sump and send it back into your display tank etc.

skimmer/uv/reactors are all setup in the sump, your husband can do all that later when he switches to salt. since that is where its at! :D

freshwater, fish only, i would add a few baffles to that 40b sump and fill the middle section with bio balls. cheap and easy :D

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
100_2361.JPG100_2363.JPG

snapped a few pics.. and the bottom picture is essentially how I intend to set-up the sump.... can the danners me split w/out damageing the pump? I'm assueming I can just T joint the return pipes?

100_2361.JPG

100_2363.JPG

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks! hopefully when alll is said and done on this no matter what the stock my filtration will be able to handle it.. i don't see my water changes changeing to keep up with the nitrates... but i'll be happy knowing i have plenty of bio-space available. should buy my cuban gar another year or 2.

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Ok, so both returns have 2 holes. VERY nice.

You have a lot of fun options then :D

Perhaps something like this:

Ignore the sump pic, thats for a salt reef tank. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store