Redbelly Piranha
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    08-11-2012 11:46 PM

Help get my pipes flowing right!!! (lol)

So I have a 280 that's drilled at the bottom. I have 30 gallon sump hooked to it with a submerged pump. I can't get the water to flow in and out at the same rate. Is it just fine tuning or is there a science to this????? Grrrr
    280 gallon: 6 peacock bass; 1 motoro stingray. FX5
    75 gallon: 1 oscar; 1 pleco
    outside pond (roughly 300 gallon): 1 hybrid bass

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    James Brown
    Last Activity
    03-05-2014 6:54 PM
    My pump is more powerful than the overflow so I close the output ball valve on my pump until I get an even flow. Closing it a little bit at a time.
    I have an evaporation rate of about a quart of water a day so when I look at my sump the next day it looks like the pump is pumping faster than the overflow provides(water level dropped). I add a quart and the water level is at the right height again in my sump and the tank.

So, Yes you have to do some fine tuning until you figure out your settings. Another thing that happens is when my filter starts to clog in my drip tray the water fills the drip tray and the level in my sump drops. So I loose about a quart and a half in the tray when its completely clogged and the water bypasses the drip tray. Filter change time and the level is fine again.

I have a 220G with a 25G sump. I'm running dual 1 1/2" overflows T ing to 2"....It pushes about 900GPH My pump will easily push 1600 Gallons at 5ft head so I have to cut it back a little.
    Man who fish in other mans well soon catch crabs...

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Michael
    Last Activity
    01-09-2014 7:17 PM
    Simple, run a pipe from the bottom bulk head up to the level you want the water in the tank to be. Then let it rip!
    Perfectly clear water with a Monster Diatomaceous Earth (DE) filter! Check out the Hayward EC40 for $210 on Amazon. (I am not associated with this Amazon vendor.)