Fire eel white nose. Gravel problem?

ferry2805

Feeder Fish
Apr 2, 2012
breda, the Netherlands
Hello,
I'm Ferry from the Netherlands. I have an aquarium (39,37 inch) with a group of brachydanio rerio and 3 small ancistrus.
And now 3 weeks an fire eel.
When i bought it, he seemed in good health.

IMG_20120325_WA0002.jpg
Now his nose is white. Other than that he seems fine. Eats good. Bloodworms, worms, shrip. Some times live and most of the time frozen.
Is his white nose a gravel problem or something else?

Best regards,
Ferry

IMG_20120325_WA0002.jpg

1bigdovii

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Virginia
Gravel is exactly the problem they need to be in sand since the burry themselves they will always scrape their nose on gravel be careful it doesnt get infected. If you switch to sand he will be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
if the first picture is the gravel you have it should be fine. it does look like hes rubbed it on something... it should heal by itself, make sure your water perameteres stay ideal. signs of infection should be treated asap, i prefer melafix at 1/2 dose. only insecure eels bury themselves ime... none of my eels bury and they have plenty of gravel to do so. make sure hes not getting picked at by anyone. danios can be sassy but more likely plecos.

1bigdovii

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Virginia
if the first picture is the gravel you have it should be fine. it does look like hes rubbed it on something... it should heal by itself, make sure your water perameteres stay ideal. signs of infection should be treated asap, i prefer imelafix at 1/2 dose. only insecure eels bury themselves ime... none of my eels bury and they have plenty of gravel to do so. make sure hes not getting picked at by anyone. danios can be sassy but more likely plecos.
The ones i used to have never burried when i had gravel only sand has nothing to do with being secure that what they do naturally. So imo if they never burry is probibaly cause they cant.

ferry2805

Feeder Fish
Apr 2, 2012
breda, the Netherlands
Thanx for all your comments.

I have switched my gravel for sand. Just to be sure.
And the brachydanio rerio's are moved to another aquariun upstairs.
Hope my fire eel will recover.
Any suggestions for other tankmates for my fire eel?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk App

1bigdovii

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Virginia
He will be fine no that he is in sand because the sand will nit scrape him. Now you could also feed him black worm they burry in the sand and give eels somthing to search for. As far as tankmates you could do tinfoil barbs or other larger schooling fish such as silver dollars. Maybe even some of the less aggressive cichlids,gars or bichirs. You have alot of choices so long as not too aggressive.

ferry2805

Feeder Fish
Apr 2, 2012
breda, the Netherlands
With the Brachydanio rerio gone from the tank, my fire eel has more peace. And he comes out during the day. Feeds really good on shrimps, night crawlers and bloodworms. He likes the sand a lot. The white spot on his nose is slowly healing.
I have a few pvc tubes inbedded in the sand. He swims from one to the other all day long.

Thanks for the help. Best regards, Ferry

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk App

uploadfromtaptalk1334062157869.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1334062318421.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store