New member- and empty 135 to fill

Gasguzzler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
NH
Hey guys and gals, official first post haha. I've been a saltwater predator/reef guy for almost 14 years. I have a 135 sitting around and wanted to go fresh this time. I've had multiple piranhas before and currently. Id really love to dive in with armatus. I've read the sticky regarding their care but any info you guys have about possible tankmate species, specific filtration, substrate and things like that will be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Unfortunatly a 135 is not suitable for an Armatus. A group of Tats would possably work. What are the dimensions?

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
they get to about 24" in captivity so the width is definitely going to be much wider. if you're set on an armatus, perhaps sell the tank and upgrade?

a tat can get up to 18" but i've never seen one get that big in captivity. i've only heard/witnessed a max of 13-14". if you go this route, they can be schooled as long as they're similar sizes

Gasguzzler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
NH
Yeah I knew they get rather large. I was planning on getting a juvi and moving it into an 8x3 when I take down one of my saltwater tanks. If I go with tats how many is considered safe in a tank my size? Odd number groups?

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
definitely odd number groups. seeing as i never seen an 18" tat, i supposed you can grow out a school of 3 tats in that footprint

Gasguzzler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
NH
Cool. I wouldn't do more than 3 anyway. What type of filtration is best? I have canister filters and wet/dry setups. The 2 canisters have spray bars and are rated for 200 gallon tanks. My old saltwater sump is 30 gallons with an 850 gal/hr pump

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
the "best" filtration has always been a debatable subject :) i wont get into that. they all have their pros and cons. as for gph, good circulation is recommended to keep them active and on their feet. just make sure you make some dead spots for them to rest.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Cool. I wouldn't do more than 3 anyway. What type of filtration is best? I have canister filters and wet/dry setups. The 2 canisters have spray bars and are rated for 200 gallon tanks. My old saltwater sump is 30 gallons with an 850 gal/hr pump

Bang for buck easily the fx5 imo! Maybe an ac110 as well for backup and a powerhead to keep the ground flowing! Welcome to the FW game!! And id say a shoal of 6-8 rbp would be awesome in that setup!or caribes!!

GL and pics when ur done!

#1 S. Vettel

Gasguzzler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
NH
Thanks. I have 3 other rbp's in another tank so maybe I'll get some more haha. I'll take and post pics as it progresses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store