FLOWER RAY KEEPERS----Flower ray issues (recently)

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
has anyone else have Flower ray issues recently?????

I have talked to a couple guys on here, and we all started having flower ray issues around the same time, last year, and again this year. We live in totally different areas of the country....... Just curious, if the warmer weather, or if maybe something is triggering this.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
What sort of issues are you talking about?

I would always forget what you think you know and start with basics such as new test kits and test everything, include nitrate.

It may well be light related to breeding or movement cycles but hard to say without knowing what the issues are?

I do not keep flower rays.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
issues like lack of interest in food?

my male ray has been exhibiting this lately, he'll eat a little but not gorge himself like usual. in fact, he actually lets my female eat as much as she wants and when she's done, he'll start eating.

however, my rays aren't flowers. but just curious if this is what you're experiencing with your issues.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
here is a video from mine last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5i2vfokXQ

this year, about the same time, Suddenly stopped eating, and lost all color.... He has been doing better than ever before this happened..

tank is on a drip, and has been setup for years. Stock was some juvenile/pups, but i think they had to have suddenly stressed him.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i doubt it. i know they came in relatively the same time, but came from different sources. What is your thoughts?

I was wondering what could cause these issues in (what seems to be) a healthy ray. Maybe they others that have had issues can chime in. i know of two other guys that both lost Flower rays the same day as me.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
As most if not all flower rays are wild caught it could have something to do with the time of year rainy or dry season

Just an idea which maybe completely wrong

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I agree with T1 but still stand by my test water....a drip does not guarantee perfect water, there could be any number of issues, may even need a filter change as chlorine getting through. Best o rule quality out first.

I bet he light cycle is the answer though.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
after seeing the video, the ray looks like it is seriously aggravated. its underside looks fine. i was going to suggest mating season time in the wild, which T1 beat me to, it could be just wanting to do its natural instinct. my retic gets odd around this time of the year too, and then goes back to normal. mine is being skittish, and while usually likes his space, around this time of the year he literally crowds my female, doesn't leave her side. not aggressive, just like he can't be apart from her.

if your water params come back fine, then i'd guess it's just that time of the year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store