The insanity has begun... My 345 SA/CA Build thread

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Well as some of you may know that have seen my 125, I picked up an Arowana back in December, I knew I was finally ready to go ahead and build out my monster tank. I started searching craigslist a few months ago and went for weeks without finding anything that I wanted. Finally I came across a DAS custom aquarium that a store about an hour away from me was taking down. After a little negotiating I was out of the store with a bill of sale and a 10 week leak free guarantee (just haggled for that because I knew it would take me a bit to get it up and tested).

After picking up the tank and brining it home, I realized that I needed to spend some time figuring out how to put it in our living room, as it looked a little too “great outdoors” for me and my wife’s taste. So after a few days of sketching out ideas, I finally came across a design that we were both happy with.

So the build is under way, after a few weeks of work; I get about 6-10 hours a week to work on this, having a full time job and being the father of a nearly 5 month old, keeps me plenty busy.

I figured I’d go ahead and start the thread up; I have a quite a few pics to post. Hopefully I will be able to finish this up here in a few weeks and it doesn’t end up dragging on and on.

The tank as it sat in the store, after plant removal.

As it sat after the move to my house.

I decided to tear the old stand apart just to see how it was originally built (I was quite surprised).

Rough sketch of final product, I had planned to do a final rendering but got busy with the tank. :)

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
We copied the dimensions of the old stand and built a top and bottom, decided that the easiest way to build the stand out was just like a regular stud wall.

Both pieces put together and spaced for stand.

Studs installed, stand leveled and squared.

Top on and fitted, we had to stop with the stand build here because I wanted to go ahead and get the tank inside and running ASAP. Besides, I can finish the skin, doors and paint inside.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Tank fill, try number 1, the bulkhead ended up leaking so I had to end up resealing it and letting it set for 12 hours.

Try number 2 on the fill and it was a success!

Moved the tank inside later that day after throwing the background for the waterfall up.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
So off to the canopy:

I was originally going to use the plastic canopy that came with the tank along with the t-5 setup that it had. I decided to get rid of the t-5 setup though, because I was worried about the wash out from the fluorescents. So instead of trying to fix something to work with a different lighting setup than it was built for. So I started from scratch and went with can lights in a canopy I built myself. I alsmost went with a fur down build but decided against it to make the tank easier to move if we ever left this house.

Interior frame for the canopy.

Frame completed, 1”x10” skin complete along with the ceiling for the lights.

Painted and stained.

Fastened and ready for the roto-zip

Believe it or not, these lights are pre-wired and ready to install.

Lights for cans.

Canopy up and lights in place.

Front lights on and running.

Pay no attention to the willy wonka deco in my 56.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
So there is where we end up, I need to get the waterfall stones setup next along with the 3D background selection so that I can get the plumbing all fitted in and up and running. Starting the cycle up is number 1 on the list. After the cycling begins I will be able to build the tank top (beware the jumpers), skin and paint the stand and decorate the tank. I also need to find some bulbs to use for night lights on the rear 2 cans.

I feel like a kid on Christmas, I just got my second filter and heaters today.

Hopefully I’ll have it plumbed as well as have the rocks up and in place before next weekend.

Please feel free to post any comments/questions/suggestions.

Reactions: mrrobxc

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Doh, can't believe I forgot the stock list. The tank inhabitants will be all of the fish that I have spread out now in my tanks that are currently running.

3x Oscars: one tiger, one albino, one lutino
1x Silver Arow
1x Common Pleco
1x Albino Bushy nose Pleco
3x spotted Silver Dollars
1x Rotkeil Severum
1x Turquoise Severum
1x Firemouth
2x Golden Gourami, one male and one female
1x BGK
2x Marbled Angels
1x Convict
1x Senegal Bichir

Hopefully I didn't leave anyone off the list. Also, I know the gourami and the bichir don't belong but I like them :)

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Lookin good!

What are your plans for covering the tank so that the aro doesn't jump out?
I plan on building a top frame with 2 maybe 3 hinged plexi tops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store