Can 10x Florida Gars live in a 10FeetX10FeetX4Feet pond with bichirs for life?

Folklore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2012
Philippines
My pond's dimension are 10feetX10feetx4feet (LxWxH).

My question is can 10x florida gars get along with 15x Polypterus Endlicheri endlicheri and 5xPolypterus Endlicheri Congicus?

Is it overstock when all of them reach adulthood?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Well I wouldn't consider a 240g tank stocked with 2 florida gars and 3 polys over stocked. So your pond with over 5.5 times the surface area and over 11 times the water volume would be fine housing 5 times the fish.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
It will work way better if you cut back the number of Polypterus that you plan on getting as well as the number of gars. Your pond is a few gallons shy of 3,000 gallons, so you'll be able to fit maybe half of what you planned on stocking provided that you use some really good filtration.

Well I wouldn't consider a 240g tank stocked with 2 florida gars and 3 polys over stocked. So your pond with over 5.5 times the surface area and over 11 times the water volume would be fine housing 5 times the fish.
It's going to come down to filtration on this one considering that ponds need a lowering stocking level as they tend to have less filtration than a similar-sized aquarium. If he were to filter the pond as if it were an aquarium, then it might work.

k.allen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Singapore
My pond's dimension are 10feetX10feetx4feet (LxWxH).

My question is can 10x florida gars get along with 15x Polypterus Endlicheri endlicheri and 5xPolypterus Endlicheri Congicus?

Is it overstock when all of them reach adulthood?
Whether overstock or not, depends on your filtration I guess? If you have no problems maintaining the water parameters with that size, I don't see why not really.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
What is the aquarium size of a Florida gar. I know in the wild it's 3-4 feet but in aquariums I've heard everything from 14" to 30". Would a tank with a 2' width be ok for one of these fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Read the stickies. You'll need at least a standard 180 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store