picky gar...

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
... i know there have been posts about this before, I'm not really finding exactly what I need though with the searches.

I have a ~12"-14" florida, picked him up from snookn21 almost a year ago. Gar is in 180 with a pair of ~10" oscars, has been for a awhile now. I recently removed an aggressive Texas cichlid that was stressing all the fish out. The oscars generally leave the gar be, occasionally they give him a little bump or nudge but there is no chasing or anything.

Up to this point, I have been feeding the gar thawed shrimp stuffed with NLS pellets with no problem (delivering with a wooden skewer to get it past the oscars). I believe he was wild caught, and it took some time to get him to even take the shrimp. Bit of a pain but seemed to be working well. However, for the last couple of weeks the gar's appetite seems to be drastically decreasing. He now hasn't taken any food in about 4 days. Besides removing the Texas a month or so ago, there have been zero changes to the routine (feeding schedule, water changes, etc) and he appears to be healthy other than the lack of appetite.

So... thoughts or advice? Was thinking this may be a good time to try and get him onto pellets, but I'm not sure how long is too long to wait (in terms of him actually trying the pellets or associating them with being food).

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
nature abhores a vaccum, when you took ten texas out one or both of your oscars became dominant in the tank. see it or not it is likely why your gar isnt eating. idk if snook ips his gar before sale, but this is a possability as well.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
nature abhores a vaccum, when you took ten texas out one or both of your oscars became dominant in the tank. see it or not it is likely why your gar isnt eating. idk if snook ips his gar before sale, but this is a possability as well.
I'm pretty sure that he treats them for parasites beforehand.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Ditch the oscars as they're probably bothering the gar when you're not looking; their very presence could be stressing the gar.

These replies seem to be hitting on the general idea that I was worried about (the gar is the "odd man out" essentially). However, there isn't even a tail nip to show any evidence of the gar being attacked while I'm not in the room (which is several hours a day). I know that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't stressed. Not worried about parasites, I've had the gar too long to worry there.

I don't know which fish(es) I would like to get rid of, a tough call to say the least. What do you guys think about adding some dither fish? Maybe some CL's or a catfish, or maybe another gar?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
These replies seem to be hitting on the general idea that I was worried about (the gar is the "odd man out" essentially). However, there isn't even a tail nip to show any evidence of the gar being attacked while I'm not in the room (which is several hours a day). I know that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't stressed. Not worried about parasites, I've had the gar too long to worry there.

I don't know which fish(es) I would like to get rid of, a tough call to say the least. What do you guys think about adding some dither fish? Maybe some CL's or a catfish, or maybe another gar?
Dithers will not do you any good as they'll just become gar food or will get ripped to pieces by the gar & oscars.

Removing the oscars is your safest bet for ensuring the gar's continued health & well-being.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
it's been stated earlier and i'll just reiterate. ditch the oscars if you want the gar to have an appropriate environment; if you don't want the gar, then ditch the gar and keep the oscars. either way, the combo is ill-advised and even a bit of incidental stress can have lasting repercussions. also keep in mind that fish behavior and responses are dynamic, so just because it seems to have worked before doesn't mean it will continue to work as the fish grow/develop/etc.

dither fish will just complicate things.

simple solution, ditch one or the other type of fish. good luck--
--SRD

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
UPDATE in case anyone cares... I had no nibbles on rehoming the gar so I decided to shuffle a few things around and now the gar is in a 125 by himself. I measured him and he is only actually around 10", so he should be fine in there for now. It's been 2 days and he is now feeding very well and appears much more comfortable.

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store