Big eel, small tank

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
I really want a Tesselata Moray Eel but I'm in a small house at the moment. I only have space for a small tank and I've got a 48"x15"x18" with sump and everything, I'm going to be here a year minumum or maybe 2 at worst (if I can't move this year)

My question is how long could I keep the Eel in said tank? Is it even worth setting it up also I plan on upgrading when I move so what sort of size tank would I need for one ultimately?

Thanks

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
No I wouldnt bother, iv owned tesselata morays in the past. They grow extremely quick and reach over 6 feet in aquarium, closer to 8 - 10 feet in the wild. Go with something smaller like a fimbriated (max around 3 to 4) feet, jewel moray (max around 3). Not to mention for morays you need very very good filtration, they are slightly messy and poop alot, they do not tolerate poor water conditions very well and are difficult to treat for illness and disease.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Dragons would be fine as they rach about 3 feet as well, but you would still need to upgrade your tank to something larger than a 48" long for a full grown specimen. Same for any I mentioned above as well.

If you want to keep a moray for life in the tank you have, pick up a snowflake.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Yeah, a snowflake would be good in a tank that size. They only get to be about 2 feet long. Just make sure you give him plenty of nooks and crannys to hide in and make sure you have a tight lid. They like to escape.

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
I prefer the stockier Eels and the guy at my lfs said it would be fine until it was 2 foot and that it would take about a year to get that big? I did state I am upgrading as soon as I leave will probs buy the tank before leaving and store at my parents

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
Lol that little guy got 34" before he died, I only had the red tail and when he died I gave up and sold my tank now I want to keep a moray and I'm pretty set on a tesselata.
I'm fine with keeping it alone what I want to know is how long could he stay in there if I got him tiny?
I can fit a 5x2x2 in the space he's in so an upgrade is possible here. Once I move I will be getting him a permanent home in the region of 10x3.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store