Seattle
I am very jealous beautiful pond and even nicer masheers

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
They are beefcakes Ken! I love the red and blue fins. ANy idea how big some of those are?

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
How are the high back Tor sp. doing ? I want to see how their colors are, possible to get one out of the water and picture? don't blame me if you fall in the pond or drop your camera though! I'm going ot need to buy some back from you in the near future!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
How are the high back Tor sp. doing ? I want to see how their colors are, possible to get one out of the water and picture? don't blame me if you fall in the pond or drop your camera though! I'm going ot need to buy some back from you in the near future!
High back, low back, fast back...???? You sold me so many different ones I don't know which is which. All I know is with the warmer temp the spinibarbus are starting to get their red again, neo hex are getting their blue also. First year of the mix mahseers were slow on growth but this being the second summer in the pond, growth is rapid this past month. Unlike kois, mahseers feed all year round. From what I see these guys are community fish. I don't believe they eat their own kind. I may be wrong. 2"-3" cohab with 12"-20". Only fish eaten were the bambusa. I should have grown them out a bit more before putting them in the pond. They're not as aggressive as mahseers.

Tripletail

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
everywhere
Those masheers and spinibarbus you have look great !! I hope mine grow as nice as those .Your water looks nice and clear also. What filters are you using on your pond ? My experience with groups of tor has been- a group of different sized individuals grow up together from small and do well, and yes they are community/schooling fish ,and harmless to each other as long as the group accepts any new introduction to thier tank. But,If the group does not accept the new fish introductions, well, then they can swallow what fits in thier mouths. I have lost some small tors to larger ones eating them. They can get more predatory/agressive when they get large. I recently lost a few xingu bass 5 -6 inches to group of tors overnight. Introduction went well,and bass were swimming about and feeding, tors were casually following every once in while. not harrassing the bass, so I thought everything was cool. Next morning, one bass gone,and a fat tor putitora was swimming around (they seem to be more excitable and predatory than some other tor sp. ) . Also one other bass dead from being chased I think. stupid mistake :(
I have had tors with bass before and no problems , but these tors were 12-18 inches. All my tor are in my outdoor pond now, and peacock bass growing indoors.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Brutal. I'm suprise you didn't get ragged on for mixing SA and Mahseers. It's like my pbass and red parrots. haha....Well I got over 75 pieces outside so it hard to say who got eaten or not.
All I run is a UV and cartridge, no bio filter...... well...I balance the water with nature.

Tripletail

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
everywhere
Wow,75 tor & friends . Sounds like you might need to thin out your stock in a year or so. Wes, did say he wants a pond in his backyard to growout his bambusa and some tor. These tor will blow away most other pond fish when they get some size to them in beauty and feeding fun. I am just getting my ponds going again and hope to have my fish with some size in the near future. Oh, never trust a tor to not jump out. Sooner or later they try. All my ponds are covered with mesh now. I think your pond is covered, yes? I guess your clear water is a result of uv and your algae on sides and bottom. I have been running plant filters exclusively since 95 with aquatic swamp fern as the current media, but I am changing plants now looking for a less messy plant. I have a few I am working with. I am going to try a pressurized filter filled with K3 or similar media for algae and solids removal soon.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store