55 Gallon Native Stocking Options

Ben268

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Canada PEI/New Brunswick
Hello!

So I'm breaking out my old 55 Gallon tank that I used to use for native saltwater, and am going to use it for a native fresh water tank. Issue is deciding on what I want to put in there! I'll be in New Brunswick Canada (home) for the summer and that's when i'm going to catch the natives for this tank. So some options.

Option#1: Ecosystem tank

Basically this would be a bunch of small critters mimicking an ecosystem.

Breeding Brook Stickleback pair
Slimy Sculpin Tons of these in a river in my backyard, the larger brook trout feed on them.
A bunch of Northern redbelly dace, or similar minnows
bugs & snails(non predatory):p.

Option #2: Small mouth bass

If I was to have a small mouth bass, what else could I have in here as well? I'm also concerned on the size of the tank, I'm not sure it's big enough for a small mouth bass.

Option #3 Yellow Perch

Same as option #2, just wondering what would be able to fit in here with it.

Option #3 Brook/Rainbow Trout

Same as option #2 and #3, just wondering what else I could put in there. They're lots of brook trout around, and a fair bit of rainbow trout.

There are pumkin seeds around here, but they're quite rare, I'd keep one of these guys if I could find one.

There is also crayfish around here, but I'd be worried about them being able to live with any of the above without one of them being eaten.

Brown Bullheads are also an option :D.

I'd be catching everything during the summer, and move everything with me to my new apartment in the fall. I have lots of experience moving fish, corals and inverts so that part is not an issue.

Let me know what you guys think! Also, any suggestions are most welcome.

My alternative to a native tank is a cuttlefish or an octopus tank.

Edit: There will of course be pictures of the captured fish and the tank as it develops :).

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
Hey Ben, I urge you to stick with option 1. The other fish you mentioned need a larger tank, and trout need a chiller. Besides, small native fish are lots of fun! I haven't kept sticklebacks, but dace are great community fish. Sculpin are a little trickier- they need very well oxygenated water, and can't be trusted with smaller fish, but otherwise are nice tank inhabitants. Fundulus spp. are also good community tank inhabitants. Just be sure to check your provincial laws first.

Ben268

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Canada PEI/New Brunswick
That's why I ask, thanks for the feedback. :) Like I said I was worried about the tank size. I'll go with option number one then. I've successfully kept slimy sculpins briefly before switching the tank to something different, but I'll keep the oxygenation issue in mind. I'm thinking of having the tank a planted tank. Shiners and chub are another option around here.

I'm a bit odd in the fact that I have more salt water experience than fresh. Gotta switch gears in terms of filtration for this tank.

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Sticklebacks are very nippy. I have seen them kill fish by nippy at them.Shiners,chubs and dace would work great.

Ben268

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Canada PEI/New Brunswick
Hmm, I suppose that would only be worse with a pair of them eh. I'm thinking dace and slimy sculpins now, with trying out the sticklebacks and releasing them if they're to nippy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store