Ackies vs Savannah

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everybody,

I'm getting bit by the lizard bug again. I'm once again starting to watch vids on youtube of monitor lizards/ peoples reptile collections (If you have a vid, post it up lol). Well some things I would like to know:

What is the going price for Red and Yellow Ackies currently last time I checked I think it was from $250- 300?
What is thier avearge length?
Most important how is thier behavior, I heard thier real nice...but are they savy nice?

I don't need to ask any question on the sav because I use to have one, so cute when small and gotta love thier clumsiness when hatchlings.

Thier is an upcoming reptile expo, so I'm thinking about picking up a monitor....however I may end up waiting for future expos...

Thanks

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
From my experience Ackies seem to be a little more timid and alert compared to Savs. They don't mind handling but good luck getting them to sit still in your hand....they'd much rather climb all over you! Because of their smaller size your setup doesn't have to be as large which makes this species a great starter Monitor Lizard. Their smaller size also helps with the food bill since monitor lizards eat a great deal of food compared to other similar sized lizards. Make sure you take that into account! Not everyone is ready to buy 100+ crickets a week. Oh and I would highly recommend that you start a Dubia Roach colony. It really helps to cut down on the food bill, trust me.

Wiggles is right about Ackies being harder to find and that's a result of them having to come from CB animals. Most Savs are farmed from captive caught animals. As for price...Reds always go for a bit more. You can pay almost $100 bucks more for a Red Ackie. Yellows run about $200 a piece.....sometimes more, sometimes less. But lately it seems that there are more Reds then Yellows available for sale.

I currently have a 1.2 Yellow Ackies. Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll have their new cage done and I can introduce the male to the 2 females and they can get busy! :D

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks for the replies, I hope I can attend the upcoming reptile expo if not purchase a reptile I can at least I can talk to breeders with knowledge of the ackies. Any pics vicious?

I'm probably gonna take it slow this time.... do tons of research again (to freshen up) and maybe for the first time....prepare a cage before getting something. I always bought the reptile first.... then look around for a tank lol

Also any tips with the roach colony?

Lasgt but not least... maybe by the time I decide Im ready for a monitor...your monitors will be done getting busy... I could get one lol :)

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
^Bingo

With monitors, taking it slow and doing research, planning it out, building the cage and making sure it's meeting the requirements, all before getting the monitor, is essential.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Thanks for the replies, I hope I can attend the upcoming reptile expo if not purchase a reptile I can at least I can talk to breeders with knowledge of the ackies. Any pics vicious?

I'm probably gonna take it slow this time.... do tons of research again (to freshen up) and maybe for the first time....prepare a cage before getting something. I always bought the reptile first.... then look around for a tank lol

Also any tips with the roach colony?

Lasgt but not least... maybe by the time I decide Im ready for a monitor...your monitors will be done getting busy... I could get one lol :)
You're definitely on the right track, do lots of research first and have the enclosure ready before buying the animal. Good luck!
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?274586-My-very-own-Ackie-thread!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store